clipless pedals=ouch

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a pair of clipless pedals for my bike a few days ago and put them on yesterday. I've now got a big bruise on my hip, scratched the paint on my bike and a derailuer nocked out of allignment.

Let me explain.

It's my first time using these--once you've clipped into them you have to twist your feet at an unfamiliar angle to get them out. Other than that they work great.

I wound up doing a quick stop and started to cant to my side before I got my foot out. There's nothing like a rush of adrenalin and panic to make you forget everything you practiced about 10 minutes ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
About a second later I was lying on my side swearing up a storm and assessing the damage--still trying to get my feet out.

Chalk this one up to inexperience.

Anybody do something like that before?

etnt

Newly Enlightened
Try using SPD with tension set to loose. It has very little float and a little twist will disengage it.

cy

Flashaholic
ya, when you first start using clipless. getting used to them is most dangerous stage.

Time mountainbike clipless have smoothest release. cleats are brass, mated to stainless spring bars. natually anti-sizing when it counts.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think everyone who has ever switched to clipless has done the same thing at least a time or two. I know I did. In fact I think I bent the crank arm on my bike by falling on it that way. It was a very slight bend, but the constant pronation started to make my knee hurt, so I had to replace it.

But once you get used to them and start using them on the upstroke, you will never go back. It's like having an extra set of legs pedaling for you.

AtomSphere

Enlightened
i use SPD to learn how to bunny hop. But generally i don't use those. Look like a fool when you cannot unhook it and fall on your side

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first started to use my clipless pedals, I pulled up to an intersection on my bike. The light was green so I started to go across the intersection . A car cut me off at the same time. I was not used to releasing my feet from the pedals. I fell over on my side while I was still clipped in. I remember when I fell, that it did not hurt too much. I was more angry at the car cutting me off.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Bwah ha ha ha ha - never happened to me, you must be lame or something!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Seriously, there's a pretty steep learning curve which is proportional to how long you used clips. Some years ago, about a month after I went SPD, me and a buddy were doing Poto (18 mi trail in SE Michigan) and about 3/4 of the way through we were both beat. Coasting on flat spot next to a lake, we decided to stop and rest. We both fell down in a spectacular display of synchronized clumsiness.... Wouldn't have been so bad it there wasn't an audience there./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

etnt

Newly Enlightened
IMO, the SPDs are easier during the learning stage (and still on-road) as there is relatively less float and it comes off easily when panicking.

When you go offroad esp over muddy terrain, then you will swear at the SPD when it's clogged with mud and refuses to either click-in or click-out. Afterwich you'll switch to Time and love it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hmm, but the eggbeaters really look interesting. Would love to give them a try but it would mean sacrificing the flashlight budget.... argh

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I use SPD, and on road it was never a problem. But take the mountain bike on a teeny tiny trail, with some rocks to climb the first time, I wish someone was there filming in slow motion.

I couldn't get the leverage to climb, so my face turns from determination to futility as I give up. Then I realize I'm clipped in and my face turns to horror and panic as I hang there motionless. Finally, with a crash and a slide, I fall onto the rocks, wheels in the air. Then ya gotta laugh, except when you touch the big bruise on yo hip!

sound familiar?
daloosh

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Hey,
Have not ridden in YEARS, and clipless was just starting on road bikes when I stopped, but I can remember doing the same thing WITH clips and cleats - straped in fairly tight, sudden stop, and BANG

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I switched to clipless after exposing bone in my shin when my foot came out of the pedal on a simple log crossing.

I had a similar experience to Ensanada. I remember crossing at an intersection and the traffic took longer to clear than I estimated. The bike was barely moving and I stopped and went to put my foot down and the horrors started. I couldn't get out of the connection and went over in what seemed like slow motion.

It really doesn't take long to get used to them. Start with a light release setting and just practice twisting out. The problem is that it's a different reflex and you have to relearn it. You'll tighten up your setting when you start coming out of them when you don't want to.

greenLED

Flashaholic
My brother just did that to himself a couple of weeks ago. I also remember one of my biker friends brusing himself badly the first time he used these; they (him and his bike) rolled down an "incline"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Another "ouch" time due to being locked into the peddles (again, fo me clips, but....)

It was a weekend afternoon, and I was at my usual "riding spot", a nice road course around a lake , oh, 4-5 miles from home. I'm at the far end of the lake, when I spy a somewhat good looking young lady also riding. We get to talking, and she stops.

Now, as 1)I was only semi interested, 2)was pretty good at doing track stands, and 3) it's a real PITA to stand around in cleats, I decide to do a "track stand". For those of you who are not riders, a track stand is where you balance on the bicycle - perfectly still - aka NOT moving. TRY it some time. Just make sure your NOT clipped in the first, oh, 40-50 times you try.

Anyway, here I am, clipped in with the clips TIGHT, as I was riding where there are no cars, doing a track stand, talking with this YL, and I lost it. Fell over. Yeah, THAT was impressive

AtomSphere

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
Another "ouch" time due to being locked into the peddles (again, fo me clips, but....)

It was a weekend afternoon, and I was at my usual "riding spot", a nice road course around a lake , oh, 4-5 miles from home. I'm at the far end of the lake, when I spy a somewhat good looking young lady also riding. We get to talking, and she stops.

Now, as 1)I was only semi interested, 2)was pretty good at doing track stands, and 3) it's a real PITA to stand around in cleats, I decide to do a "track stand". For those of you who are not riders, a track stand is where you balance on the bicycle - perfectly still - aka NOT moving. TRY it some time. Just make sure your NOT clipped in the first, oh, 40-50 times you try.

Anyway, here I am, clipped in with the clips TIGHT, as I was riding where there are no cars, doing a track stand, talking with this YL, and I lost it. Fell over. Yeah, THAT was impressive

[/ QUOTE ]

might be a good laugh for her... She might juz help you up. Concerned bout you.

Its kinnda a good thing though cuz you two can talk more than if you don't fall.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
... and she thought you fell on her on purpose so she pulled out her pepper spray and ...