M@g 2D mod help needed

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
I'm preparing a 2D M@g to be modded. I used the search function, but it didn't come up with much. BTW, it's my first mod, so please don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif
I planned to use a 8AA>2D adapter with NiMH, a nFlex, UCL lens and an OSink.
I'm not sure what kind of combination of emitter and reflector I should use. I'd like to have a lot of throw. Should I go for a LuxIII and a Carclo 2° or is there a better combination?
What bin is best for such a setup?

Edit: Please move this thread to Homemade and modified lights.

sniper

Enlightened
Modding is no laughing matter! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I used the stock reflector and a TX1L emitter for my DD 3D Mag mod. (my first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) I am really happy with it. Bright, good sidespill, and throw! Go to Light Refineries, Mr. Bulk or Chop's sites, or maybe Flashlight Reviews.com, and go to the Mods section for instructions on making various Mag mods. Space Needle instructions can be applied to the bigger lights. The switches are different, though. One site, I forget which, has pixes of the new style switch.
Take it slow, read & understand the instructions a time or three (all of 'em) and it will go just dandy. Good Luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
The Mag reflector already provides astounding throw when coupled with a LuxIII emitter. Just use the stock reflector and throw in that UCL lens and your all set. I personally have modded my 2D Mag with a 6AANimh to D adapter and a downboy 1000ma Converter board. This is my personal favourite light and throws like a champ! Runtime is also about 3+ hours before it drops into direct drive mode. As an interesting side note i just thought i would let you know that a couple weeks ago i got to thinking how long this sucker would run on 2D's if i was stuck in a blackout and needed enough ilumination to get around the house. I had the light continuously on for about 30 hours or so before someone in my household decided to turn it off. They must have figured that i accidentaly left it on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif and prematurely ended my test. I really would have liked to see how long it would have run till the Mag no longer produced enough usable light to navigate around in the dark. Anyhow i was using two somewhat used Duracell batteries for that test and i was really really pleased with how long it ran and how much light it was actually still putting with 2 D's after that amount of runtime. With 2 D cell's the light is in direct drive mode and the LuxIII is really underdriven which i think is a really good thing in an emergency situation since it makes the emitter run allot more efficiently. I took a couple of pictures with my cell phone cam that should give you a pretty good indication of the amount of light it was still putting out at the 30 hour mark. Keep in mind that the quality of the beamshots is not all that great and you really cannot seen any side spill, but in reality it is brighter and there is plenty of spill coming out of the mag to light up a room quite nicely. This first pic is a beam shot at about 1 meter:
34272704133018fy.jpg

The next shot shows the light up against the wall to better show the spill:
34272550533012lt.jpg

This last beam shot was taken all the way at the other end of the room which i would estimate to be about 15 feet:
34272358533011nv.jpg

Overall i would say the 2D mag is a very versatile host which allows for an optional low light level without the use of special electronics or first running down your batteries! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif By the way where did you get your 8AA to D adapter?

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for the help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

I ordered the 8AA-2D adapter from modamag. There's a Groupbuy in the B/S/T section.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I would suggest for a search in 'Custom and Modified', with keyword such as 'nflex', 'mag 2d', 'icarus', 'space needle', 'OA4D'...and it should give you plenty of leads to find the resources. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd have a humble writeup for Mag 2c nflex as in here, although the body is different, the same principle will apply. Hopefully, the last section of the related links will be of some help... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
AuroraLite, the link you posted is great. Thanks a lot.

Ure using a TW0J emitter for your mod. Are other bins better suited for this mod, perhaps ones with higher Vf?
Would it be safe to bypass the schottky diode (D1) when using 1000mA current to increase the time in regulation?

There seems to be a consensus about the quality of the Mag reflector. Aren't there better 50mm ones available?

Hope the remainder of the missing components is arriving soon. The Dremel and soldering iron are ready.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Phreeq.

Glad to hear the links work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sure, other bin of Lux III can also work for the mod, and as in the dummy guide--usually, the lower Vf is better for this nflex mod(it means it could maintain its regulation longer). But if you have a higher Vf bin, it is ok too.

I am no EE person, and the story is probably complicated(from pms with George)--but iirc, originally, with the schottky diode installed, the nflex will hold its full regulation so as long as the Vin >= Sum(Vf of all lux)+ 1.1v.

And from what I have learnt, taking away the diode will lessen the regulation requirement to Sum(Vf of all lux)+ 0.7v. The drawn back is your light will be without polarity protection.

I think a well focused Lux III with the original Mag D reflector really works wonder. Sometime the hotspot is so tight that I don't even know what to do with it in close range... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have fun!