What to buy around 200$?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done exceptionally well this school year (as my parents say) and my parents decided I deserved something (for once! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) They promised, under or around 200$ worth of flashlight money. Not to buy immediately, but during the summer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif I dont really know what to buy. I have sworn myself to buy a HelioTek HTE Rev 2, but if there are better choices, I might not. I was thinking about a few things. Here they are.

Pila GL3/w Pilas

Heliotek HTE Rev 2.

Pila GL3XRC/w Pilas

Pila GL4RC/w Pilas

I really cant afford to restock all the time on 123s which is why I decided on rechargable, but I still have doubts. I thought the KL5+R123 setup would be nice, but I am not a good caretaker of things in general, and I am afraid I might mess up every pila or R123 that I get since I would get careless and overdischarge it. I really want the L5, but there comes the Pilas and taking care of batteries. Same with the L4. I have heard nothing but greatness of this light. All these lights are things I want, for a good reason. My first surefire, and my first actual 5 watter except for the heliotek. Problem is, I dont know what to get. Maybe I should get the Heliotek? I also want enough money left over for a LongBow Eco tube for my Micra... Suggestions?

scudinc

Enlightened
Get a 2-cell Aleph 1 with a DB917. I wouldn't bother with the Heliotek unless you're doing something particularly [haroldandkumar]EXTREME![/haroldandkumar] Besides, feeding that thing would be a pain, and much more expensive than any 123-based light.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
An L4 with Pilas is hard to beat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scud, i can run pilas on that right? Sorry, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

KDOG, I dunno.... Too much... at the lowest, the U2 is like around 230$.

Max, I think the L4 would be nice, but probably the least needed light on my list. Not enough throw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Which is why I have a lot of choices dealing with the L5.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Mags,

I know that you say that you are looking for more throw, which is understandable.

Having said that, what I myself would pick, which understandably might not be what you would selct, is as follows.

I would get a SureFire L4, with a McGizmo 2-Stage switch and Pila batteries.

I say that as that is my favoirite light that I own.

Mind you, that is just my opinion.

Also, whatever you might decide, please keep us all posted!

All My Best,
John

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats Mags!
If I were you I would have tried to show some modesty and not tried to get exactly $200 worth of stuff. Doing that your parents may be doing this next year as well if you keep up the good work at school.

The Pila cells are protected so they should take care of themselves, R123 I would be more careful with.

Are you only considering LED lights? If not, have you considered one of the Pila lights? I have a Pila GL2R heading my way that I have high hopes for. Not a LED light, but it has a LED tail cap. It should set you back $130 to $140 including battery and charger.

Sigbjoern

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a tough one. I would go with the L4, McE2s, and pilas. With this setup you have many options you can go to, such as the E2C with KL5 (or KL6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) or any mcgizmo heads. You might also want to consider a custom, but that might be to much. I think i saw a VIP go for 200 a while back however.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
L5 with a few Pilas.
I used it everydays for for the lst 11 months, still work great. Charge the pila every two days.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option is the Inova T4.
It has HAIII for durability, a great switch, recharging cradle for 120 VAC and 12 VDC to recharge it when camping. Has serious output and with a Lithium Ion battery, no memory problems. Just hang it off the charger and go. At LA Police Gear it is $85 with $8 shipping.
Since it is a summer thing, keep at eye out for the Photon 60 lumen single AA light. Very bright, variable output and has two small red LEDs that can vary also. If Photon's readings are correct, it will soon become a CPF favorite. It costs $70 and should be available in June (I hope!)
Take that $35 you have left and get a AA charger to feed the Photon. The T4 will give you "guilt free lumens".

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm I am leaning toward the L5 and Pilas. although an Incan would be nice come to think of it. But Ive been used to the capabilities of LED like shock proofness, whiteness, long runtimes, etc. Im not so sure about going incan just yet. Maybe I can. Ill think about it.

okay L4+Pila+McE2S is starting to eat away at me.... My only problem is that its not throwy enough. I really wish I can get it though... since its so flexible, versatile, whatever with so many options... to waste my money on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif Ok L4 is starting to win! Or L4 body with L5 head on an E2c... AHHHHH!!!!! Someone help me.... Please...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, would it be fine if I bought an L4 body, E2C, and KL5+Pila? I think the L4 body options and add ons are what is making me want it more. I get the throw of the L5, and the versatality. Also, what about the heat issues? The E series bodies are a lot thinner and lack heatsinking or at least have less heatsinking than other lights... Can it take a KL5?

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Mags,

Congrats on doing well!!

If you want throw, Aleph 1 and particularly Aleph 3 are fantastic. see Link

Kiesling has done some great beam shots for comparison in the McGizmo section.

A new light will be neat to look forward to!!

Regards,

jeffb

greenLED

Flashaholic
My sincere congratulations, Mags!! Keep up the awesome job at school. :thumbsup2:

Since you mention liking throw (and thus not really wanting an L4), how about the new e2L ($125). From what I undertand it has decent throw. Add Pilas to the package, and you're golden. Remember that you need to buy the Pilas and the charger separately so that might add up a bit to your budget.

Are any of the Aleph setups in your price range and offering decent throw?

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Mags,

Will you be opened for modding/modded light suggestions? With that money, you probably get some project(s) going which could keep you occupied for a little while... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If not, I do suggest looking into the Aleph system; not only because it is easy to switch and swap(SF lego), and it probably will be compatible to the new Lux technology coming out soon.

Enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrMom

Enlightened
Mags that's a tough one. The L4 and L5 are my top picks out of the 100+ lights I own. Both are fed with a Pila 168s from Jon. You know that the L4 may be CPF's #1 best all round 5W light. My L4 runs about two hours a week, it's my EDC. I don't do two stage tail caps because when I want the light on, I want to click it on and be done with it without fumbling with twisting the tailcap to the correct position or having to find the sweet spot. When I need light, it's as a tool not as a toy to play.

The L5 is sweet and each time I pick it up it never fails to impress. It has the best of both worlds in one package. IMHO provides the best balance between flood and throw plus it runs much cooler than the L4. The only draw back is that the L5 is larger than the L4.

If your new light is intended to be used as a tool and intend to carry daily and use often go with the L4. If you are looking a serious toy which will nearly fill both rolls go with the L5.

If I hed to pick a light for you at your stage of life it will be the LLLLLL5.

edison

Enlightened
If I was in your shoes; I'd get a 2x123 Aleph 1 with a LuxIII driven around 1A. It looks like you're leaning towards a LuxV light, but still want something that throws well. This limits your choices. For more output while retaining respectable throw, you can move up to the Aleph 3 with a LuxV. You're not going to do much better than that with a LuxV.

They're nice, but their physical size and lack of throw has kept me from buying a KL5 head. Plus, McGizmo's "catch of the day" emitter is a far better guarantee in terms of tint than buying a KL5. However, you may not care about tint.

Those are my thoughts on the subject. I don't think you will regret buying a L5 or KL5 head, I just think the Aleph is a better choice given these specific circumstances. Stock Surefires just can't compete.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags,
I myself prefer smaller flashlights that are aesthetically pleasing as well as very functional. If I was given upto 200 to spend on a flashlight I would look into one of these builds that are currently going on.

Look into the ION CR2 by Endevour. right now he is working out some issues that he has come across but it would definatly come under the 200 mark, dual light levels, small as they come. and bright. it won't be ready for a couple of months so you can sit with the rest of us and bite your finger nails till he ships em.

or

NEOCA LEON / Twist Action by PEU he is planning on making this one also around $100.00

or the

groovy it's a 123 build for about 120.

just my $0.02 if your being given a reward why get something anyone can get? be special and treat yourself to something that you would treasure, use, show-off and give to your kids.

doug

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had only ONE choice, I'd go for a variable power light. It can be a simple two-stage system, or a multi-stage system.

The U2 is too expensive unless you can afford to co-pay for it, but that would price you out of range of rechargeables. I'm seriously into rechargeables myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also when I bought my U2 I told myself to think first. A light that cost that much had *BETTER* darn well be carried and USED in order to make it worthwhile. So far, I'm keeping that promise. I wasn't about to spend $270 on a light that'd bask on the shelf, pretty though the U2 is. Get something that you'll use and carry.

With Pilas there is no fear of overdischarge. The reason some folks prefer protected cells is that the cells will protect themselves against these occurences, at the most you'll find yourself suddenly in the dark (good idea to pack a backup). It's unprotected cells you have to worry about.

If I were you I'd consider going with an expandable platform that will grow into the future. The L4 is perfect because you will have a later opportunity to add the incan bezel, the McE2S (not to be used with the incan), E2C adapter and KL5, going forward.

There is also another variable-power light that has crept onto my radar recently, the HDS series of lights. Their R123s are unprotected, but the light itself has built-in protection and it will warn you (very obviously) before the batteries reach a dangerous depletion level. The Basic 42 (4 levels of light) is $120, the Ultimate 42 is $160. I know many will shell for the Ultimate 60 but that's a little pricier - you still want money to get the recharge kits. The Ultimate is programmable, has dozens of different lighting levels, lots of various strobe/SOS/momentary functions and so on. Bit too complex for me though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Once again, so many choices, so many pretty lights, so little money, but I hope some of this is of help.

Latest posts