Physical make overs

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen those shows on tv and thought I would attempt part of one on my own and a thread.

Unlike other people and my dad, I only cut or shave my hair off once a year and let it grow back and trim my beard monthly. I have had one since 97. Being in the office there is not much I can do cloths wise as they have a fairly strick dress pants and collared button shirts for the dress code. I know many make over shows involved clothing, but I do not have the budget for that.

Anyway, I shaved my beard off and bought a bottle of hair lightner for 7 bucks to make my brown hair a bit lighter.

I was rather shocked at how fat my face looked and see my hair is alighter shade. To my disappointment, no one at work has noticed either. Last time I did this in rehab and as a communiy college student folks noticed either one or the other. At the rehab center they thought I was a new student.

Last time I did this I had elderly people and women coming up to me asking me do I take jesus as my..... and that happening over and over rather freaked me out so I went ahead and shaved my hair off and grew my beard back. I kept it trimmed for a while, but i find with longer hair I find out right off if someone likes or dislikes me than being in the middle of the road. Since I recently noticed I am going bald and my current place has no regulations regarding hair length, i figured I would let it grow out til someone says anything.

Guess next week I will attempt walking at work than using the wheelchair and see what happens? At least the coworker I asked to give me a lift to the nascar race has shown a renewed interest and took off some time from work so we can make a day of it. I was worried she would bail on me and i would frantically post to this form and a few others for some luck person to go to the race for free by giving me a lift.

Anyone attempted a make over and how did it go? Maybe they work better for females than males?

DarkLight

Enlightened
I am doing one right now..mwuahaha..

been lifting weights and dieting for 10 weeks...

Dropped 30 lbs of fat put on ten pounds of muscle...

colored my hair from grey back to my natural "original" color.

I found a picture of me when I was 33....

I look almost the same..at 44...hehe..

Greta

Flashaholic
I recently took the huge step to coloring my hair. Frankly, I got tired of my friends and family bugging me about it. My hair used to be (naturally) a dark auburn. Since moving to Arizona 10 years ago, it has become about 75% grey (white) and what hasn't gone grey has been bleached out blond by too many hours in the sun. One too many people called me a blond... so I bought a box of non-permanent hair color... washes out in a month... or is supposed to... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif Anyway... I went with dark auburn.. my "natural" color. The reactions I got were unbelievable! The two most common comments were, "WOW! Did you get blue contacts?" It seems that the dark hair makes my eyes <font color="blue">VERY BLUE</font>... that kind of glow-in-the-dark blue. Pretty neat... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ... but the comment I hear the most is that I look 10 years younger. Needless to say, I've kept up on the coloring... every 4 weeks. Amazing how only $7/month can make such a difference... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I already look 10 years younger.. and nobody seems impressed. perhaps I need a makeunder instead of a makeover.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been doing that for three years. Went from 132lbs to 180lbs. I joined the gym so that I could go with my friend. But now my friend never goes(1x month). I never thought I would see results. Good diet, lots of protein, and lots of freeweights later I am actually pretty happy with the results.

As far as dressing goes, my current gf is one of those super trendy types, she use to work at Fred Segal and would dress many celebs. Before I thought people would have to be crazy to buy a pair of jeans for $100+, but they feel and fit so much better I won't wear anything else. I have plenty of ol d Levi's and Anchor Blue for dirty work. Then she got me to change my hair to one of those Ryan Seacrest types, tried that for a few months and was never really comfortable with it. My male friends all say I turned into a metrosexual.

Now, my hair is back to how its always been, high and tight. The Fauxhawk just wasn't me. Cloths that she buys me are still designer and pricey though. Last week she bought me a shirt that says ''I love my girlfriend'' (whipped!)on the front and ''I hate my girlfriend'' on the back. Cost her $20, too bad its never going to see daylight!
You dont have to spend a lot to look good. Get cloths that fit well and work with it, but don't be someone you are not.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped 50 lbs and shaved for the first time in years a month or so ago. What I need to do is buy some new clothes that fit right, and then get a new pair of boots and I'll be set. .

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Visited my mom in the nursing home and dad gave me a lift to and from there. I dont think either was impressed. I tip the scale at 300 pounds and man it showed in my face. Guess gotta cut the breads, protein shakes and roids for a few weeks to bloat down. Been rather pain free and quite a bit of physical activity so does not seem like a bad idea.

I need to slim doan 150 pounds before I can wear nice cloths. For the most part my shirts ride up, my pants ride down. I use to have a hard time finding jeans that fit when I weights 190 pounds. I ende dup with levis 34 length and 36 waist. Now a day, my legs are too bug for my 44 inch jeans. That elliptical cross trainner will make your legs big.

I too agree with that 7 dollar monthly habbit. I may do that monthly too, but ligther than darker.

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
I have got to lose a few pounds.I got on my mare to take a ride around the farm and she looked over her shoulder and did a head count! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any updates Cobb?

I've been trying to lean out lately myself and it is so hard to cut out the bad foods when its right in front of you. If I am at home, its easy I have nothing but healthy foods, but when I go out forget about it!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am now in the over 40 trying to be vain club. I also started to color my hair with positive results. But really getting and keeping in shape is the key and the cosmetic enhancements are the capper. In working out, I've learned to be more patient and listen to my body more. I can't "bull and jam" like when I was in my 20s but can accept that. I hate the fact that I can gain weight so easy and have to make a constant, conscious effort to keep it down.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been eyeing those hair coloring products myself lately. I don't feel old enough to worry about that, but there is no denying that my hair is starting to get peppered with more and more grey. My wife says she likes it and on most days I don't have time to care /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But every so often I do stop to wonder if that might be a good idea to bring something home to experiment with...

Cobb, how did lightening your hair work? I'm just afraid that if I start coloring it thats a commitment to do it forever or I'll have roots. What have you other vain men used to hide some of that premature grey?

Going on a diet a few months ago was a really good idea. I only lost 15 pounds, but it did definitely make a difference. I can tuck in my shirts again without having too much roll over the top of my pants! I'd like to loose 15 more, but so far I'm keeping this 15 off which is enough accomplishment for the moment. Most interesting, just cutting down on the sheer number of carbs and sugars that I was taking in has made a difference than just in my scale tipping ability. I have far fewer highs and lows of energy and mood during the day now which is a very good thing too.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a friend years ago when I was a student. He was a typical guy that some people would call a geek. He was sort of funny looking and got picked on. He had few friends, no luck with women and was shy.

He decided to make himself over. He started body building, got a chin implant, changed his hair style and color and got a new stylish wardrobe (this all happened gradually over a year or so). He gained a lot of confidence and his social life improved dramatically. He was like a completely different person afterward, both in appearance and his demeanor. He became happy. It changed his life.

Your appearance is a big part of what you communicate about yourself to other people, so it is going to have an impact on how people interact with you.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am already starting to get white/grey hair and I'm only 21. I am guessing by the time I'm 30-35 i will be peppered with white, grey, and black hair or just all grey and white.

Genetically I was never a big guy. I stand in at 5 foot 6 inches and weigh in at 150 pounds. Keep a semi-healthy diet and constant exercise has kept me in shape. I can do my 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches, and run 3 miles in 21-22 minutes on a good day.

That subway dude, uhm, Jared I think lost a lot of weight by eating right and walking a lot. I would gradually walk first, 1 mile, up to 5 miles, then if you lose weight and if your body can handle it, go for a slow jog, then work your way up to running.

Biking may be more low impact but running is just simplier for me because I iknow how to do it, I haven't been on a bike since well I was 12.

Or if you can swing it, lipo suction and other procedures in plastic surgery.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok well, nothing. I grew the beard back. My hair was mildly lighten, it was not a drastic thing. The stuff smells aweful. As for dying hair, my dad use to do that as when he turned 50 it went grey over night. Problem was, when he didnt dye it it would turn back grey from black, so he quit doing it.

I guess folks just do not pay me much attention. I got sun burned on my face during the nascar race at richmond this weekend. One person noticed it. I have white skin and my face and left hand is red and hurts now for three days even after using cremes and what not. I may try walking in a few weeks, so what happens with that.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look a lot better than I used to. But I need to act like I look better. More people will want to socialize with me now and I don't feel different, so I don't see my self associating with these people... Like preppy/poplular looking guys will talk to me all buddy buddy joking and stuff, or girls will look at me and I blow it off, or wonder why they are paying attention to me! Other times I don't even talk to girls even though now I have a better chance than I used to, and I talked to more women back then! :slaphead:

I thought I may not be the best looking person, but I can do a lot of little things to improve the way I look. Why not do the best with what ya got?

Here is what I did: (not in order)
1) Got contacts. I also got new frames that I hadn't changed in 7 years. Some people tell me I look more sexy with my new frames than with contacts!! But I don't wear them because I don't like glasses on my face, lenses getting dirty, sliding down your nose, etc. Glad to be free of them!

2)Started lifting weights. I go twice a week at least, and I let my muscles heal enough. You won't go big if you don't let them heal COMPLETELY. You don't want to tear the same spot over and over it won't help... I put on about 30lbs of muscle I'd say. I need more I don't weigh a thing. Now I look better, more normal, healthy, and actually with a tight shirt or no shirt I look really buff.

3) I started tanning. Yes, Tanning. I have a lot of native american in me and I can be really dark. I just never got sun or anything because I was always indoors, and came out at night! I was pale, but not as much as some people. I just didn't look right because of my dark eyes/hair. I need to tan more often and get really dark! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Even if I tan more than you should, I'm a little red that day then the next I'm fine and dark!

So I may not be super handsome, but I have found a hair style, and goatee/sideburns style that looks good on me. I've had that for a while. So I thought, what else can I do? So I'm no longer skinny, nerdy frames, and pale.

I do need to run more on the tread mill because I get out of breath too easy, and I've put on a little extra stomach fat. I'm used to being super lean, this is weird for me! I can't see my ab definition! Plus my legs are skinny, I need to work those out!! I figure in 1 year they should be decent, and I'll continue them of course...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Be careful about the tanning, IssacHayes. I heard a statistic just today that there's a dramatic increase in melanoma rates in young people because of the popularity of tanning beds. When they tell you that it's safe, that's an outright lie. Medical evidence says otherwise.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other reason to watch out for tanning is that it will age your skin prematurely. Sure a tan looks great today, but a few years from now you don't want to look decades older than you should. There are sunless "tanning" products that can give you a tan safely without any light exposure. They spray on or go on like a cream. I can't imagine that it would be any more trouble than everything that goes into getting a traditional sun tan.

centerfield

Newly Enlightened
I'm really surprised to see guys discussing this. As a 30 something year old woman, I never realized men "thought" so much of their appearance. Of course, I am from the south and with the fried chicken, gravy and biscuits most men around here don't think a thing about having to let one more notch out of their belt or at least that is how I perceived it. I applaud you guys!!
I am going to have to remark on the tanning bed issue. From a woman's perspective, a guy is a lot easier to look at when he is not white as a powdered doughnut; however, just like anything else moderation is the key. Going everyday is way too much, but having a base tan is a good thing. A good cologne is also important /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler, Don't worry I don't over do anything. It's no safer than being in the sun. Actually probably worse because it takes a lot of sun for me to get red. I just wanted to get at least to normal complextion. It just so happens after going 3 times I'm now a lot darker than most people. My exposure to sun throughout my life has been very limited so I figure I'm not too bad off. Last time I was in the sun was 10 hours on the water and with no sunscreen and all I got was red shoulders and the next day I was normal. I know being able to tan easy doesn't mean your safe, but I'd say I'm better off than most of the people that tan regularly!!

Lurker, I've seen those spray on tans, not too crazy about them. I saw a girl with one and her ears weren't covered and other parts looked really dark orange. I noticed her right away because her face was a weird color, then I looked closer and figured it out. Not a nice color! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

centerfield: I never did, I'm more of an "intelectual" and figured that wasn't for me. But I grew up and realized that while I do want someone who is a good person, I also have to have someone that looks somewhat good or the attraction isn't there. So I thought why wouldn't the same be for others of the opposite sex? Some girls that really like me as a person but perhaps I didn't look attractive enough to date could be true. I agree too that tan/dark complected people are sexy.. I guess that's why I like brunettes and "foriegn" women so much.

Some people tan too much that normaly shouldn't look that dark, like some natural (& un) blondes who are really dark and look like leather. Plus their skin seems to not be brown but of the orangish color tan.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Seems I retain a tan longer than most people do too from talking to other friends who have done it before. The tops of my fingers are really dark as I type this!