Novice question re: "condition" NiMhs?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novice question re: \"condition\" NiMhs?

Just bought my first charger, a TG1000 from Amondotech, and am enjoying it. Aside from the long range cost savings, I like very much being able to run my lights at or near full capacity all the time.

My question is: do I need to break in or "condition" my new NiMh batteries, by doing several complete charge and discharge cycles, or can I simply use them out of the box, switching out for a charged one as soon as the installed one dims a bit?

Thanks very much in advance for any guidance.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Novice question re: \"condition\" NiMhs?

He he, well your going to USE them right? well that will cycle them.

IMO, if they are just purchaced, and they have sat around, then cycle them 3 times, and go.
but if you got a light, then why not do the discharge THERE :)

Notes (or a probable next question)
if they havent been used and sat around, and "need cycling" they might not draw current off of them as fast. but fast enough, and if they dont put out as much juice, they will be self regulatingly slow, unless what your running them on is going to beat them to get juice, like a Boost cuircuit, that is pushing the cell for its drain pattern very hard.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I'd really prefer to just use each battery a short time, till light dims just a little, then change out. That's why I ask if I should do a full charge/discharge a few times first?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

ahhh, you mean you want them fresh off the charger time and time again.
ok , then sure, cycle them 3 times, and once a year or so.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello AFAustin,

It depends on how you measure performance...

Cycling through "normal" use will work fine. On the other hand, if you measure run times down to the minute, a few deep discharge cycles may give you a few minutes of extra run time.

Tom