Webbing Sheath Design for HDS EDC

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Webbing Sheath Design for HDS EDC

I've built many sheaths, pouches and holsters in the last 35 years, usually out of Cordura Nylon or leather. A few months ago I bought a sheath made of webbing from Country Comm for my Inova X5 HA III Nat. I really liked the rugged simplicity of the web design.

Lately I've been thinking quite a bit about a sheath for my HDS EDC Basic 60 and it would have to meet three requirements:

* Heavy duty

* Full coverage

* Accidental discharge proof.

I took some photos in case anyone would like to have some made up. I'm not set up to produce these sheaths. This isn't meant to be a HowTo, just a road-map for the interested. The only original things in the design are the asymmetrical use of Velcro to offer a little more protection to the lens, and a little pocket with a fender washer sewn in to keep the light from ever turning on accidentally. If anyone wants to make some up and sell them, go for it. PM me for details on the belt loop before you put someone on it.

The first pic is an exploded parts view with all the parts in position relative to where they'll be when assembled. The body and the washer pocket are made from 2" Nylon webbing. The belt loop and sides are cut from 1" stock. The lengths can all be figured out from the pics if you have the light.

The next two pics show how it looks when the PRE-ASSEMBLY is finished. By looking carefully at them you can tell where all the parts go.

The first PRE-ASSEMBLY pic shows everything on the INSIDE.

The second PRE-ASSEMBLY pic shows where the parts go on the OUTSIDE.

Once everything has been attached in PRE-ASSEMBLY, all that's left is to sew on the sides. Then you're done.

It worked out pretty well. The light rides bezel up and the fender washer will keep it from ever turning on when you don't want it to. The washer is completely enclosed in webbing so it can't mar the finish of the light.

The female Velcro strip on the flap is long enough that the fuzzy side will keep dust and grit away from the lens better than a regular flap would. One extra thickness in the bezel area is good also.

The way the webbing tends to pucker at the corners of the sheath seems to offer more impact protection than a more form fitting design might. Very little trade-off in size IMO.

I used a Thompson Walking Foot medium-heavy-duty machine to sew it up. This machine will walk through 1/4" of leather so it's just right for this job. I used a Nylon size #69 UV resistant thread. It is tough enough that most would cut their hands badly in a serious attempt to break it. I wouldn't use anything smaller with webbing.

Side fin:

Top fin:

Front fin:

Open 1 fin:

Open 2 fin:

Enjoy,

Sub

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Webbing Sheath Design for HDS EDC

Wish I could do something like that. My favorite holster is similar - its for a SL Lux Jr. Just a simple, drop in, webbing holster with no top. Use it with an L4.

You have a really nice holster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

best regards

NetMage

Enlightened

Nice design, though I'd try to rivet an ultra clip post on it - I'm finding them useful for switching items quickly.

NetMage

Enlightened

It's the post from an Ultra Clip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See here:
Ultra Clip

I have one on my PDA holster and one on my microcell phone (only usable at work). I am planning on modded my Razr holster to use one as well.