• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mag 85's, Mag11/74's

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag 85\'s, Mag11/74\'s

I have supplies to build 4 Mag85's and one Mag11/74.

These will be built with FiveMega's 9AA to D or 6AA to D adaptors.

Reflectors will be Carley MOP's, non-cammed.

Cost will be $125.00 dollars with bodies and $105.00 without. These will include 2 bulbs of either potted or bipin configuration for the Mag85's and potted or Bipin of the 1274's. Mag11's will be built with the bipin config only.

Additional bulbs are available at $8.00 each to the purchasers.

So here you go guys, all the supplies in one place to build the Mag85/74/11!

Mag85 #1-Sold
Mag85 #2
Mag85 #3
Mag85 #4

Mag11/74

Bill

WhiteHot

Enlightened
Re: Mag 85\'s, Mag11/74\'s

So does the bi-pin configuration include the socket? what is the exact parts list for each configuration?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

The bi-pins will include a fully functional light, minus batteries, and I can provide those if desired at approx. $2.50 cell.

With the bi-pins, you will also receive the original slug for potted bulbs.

The only difference is the bi-pin or potted configuration.

Parts list:

Body- 3D or 2D
Carley MOP reflector modded to fit the light. These will be my hand mods, but will fit as the factory modded Carleys do.
Bi-Pin and/or stock sockets.
FiveMega adaptor for light.
AA cells if requested.
2 appropriate bulbs

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice price for premium parts. The Mag11 6AA in a 2D is a very nice setup, bright and compact. And the Mag85, well, if there ever was a new classic hotwire config, this seems to be it.

I most definitely endorse these kits to anyone interested in high output. Once you go hotwire, you'll never think of "bright" in the same way again.

Whitehot,
I think Bill essentially gives the parts list. Though not explicit, the 6AA is for the WA01111 and WA01274 while the 9AA is for the WA01185. Since these are billed as a complete package of parts, the bipin configuration almost certainly includes the MagCharger bipin slug conversion. Bill will straighten me out if I'm off base /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey

paulr

Flashaholic

Bill, what are you using for a heat shield in the BP configuration?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr,

Well, I'm not using anything.

Short of Wilkey, I've probably run these more than anyone on CPF and though I have had some cosmetic damage, I have yet to have a failure.

I do have a limited number of mica heat shields, which I would probably sell, but as far as I am concerned, the Bi-pin slugs are expendables, they are easily changed and cheap, so anyone can swap them when they feel it is time to do so.

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Right, I regard the slugs in the same way.

Additionally, I've done some destructive disassembly of the slug itself, tearing it down to the component pin sockets and I'm convinced that even with a significant portion of the space between them burnt away (as I have seen in very heavily used MC60 and MC85 units) the unit will securely hold a bulb. I say this because the clipping and gripping function occurs deep inside the slug. The gripping area starts 2mm below the surface and then extends another 5mm deeper. So, you could burn out all the plastic between the two pin socket holes and still not appreciably affect the ability of the sockets to grip.

Based on these recent explorations, I can recommend heat shields for reducing primarily cosmetic damage. However, they do not appear to be strictly necessary for preserving function. This is consistent with Bill's observations as well as S4MadMan's punishment testing.

Wilkey

paulr

Flashaholic

Oh ok, I saw some thread a while ago about the plastic in the bi-pin slug melting after 30 sec, so I thought a heat shield was required.

The bi-pin slugs were something like $11 each--that's expendible?!

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

Even if slug melt-off/burn-off is inconsequential from a mechanical point of view, the redeposition of the smoked plastic on the nice shiny reflector bugs me!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's an interesting problem, because even where I have had cosmetic damage, I haven't had the smoke.

I wonder if Mag changed the composition of the slug plastic?

Bill

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

After I noticed my relector looking clouded, I ran my Mag85 without the lens for a while, hoping what would burn off would burn off and no longer cause a problem. Even after 20 minutes, smoke was still wisping up from the light. I'll just limit run times until I get that ceramic bipin holder installed.

islw2863

Newly Enlightened

Mr. bwaites,

I would like to buy a mag85 kit with body, black color please.

This is the first post I have ever made in CPF! Should I PM you with my mailing address, and how do I pay?

Gryffin

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
wasBlinded said:
After I noticed my relector looking clouded, I ran my Mag85 without the lens for a while, hoping what would burn off would burn off and no longer cause a problem. Even after 20 minutes, smoke was still wisping up from the light. I'll just limit run times until I get that ceramic bipin holder installed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto here. Mine just keeps smoking, and at this point, I'm not even sure I can get the bulb out, seems to be melted into place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif