Gerber/CMG Sonic disassembly. Been done? Yes-pix

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about putting a 26K LED in my Sonic to give it a bump in brightness but I'd rather not destroy it in the process. I ran a search here but didn't come up with any hits.

So . . .has anybody popped one of these apart? Is it not too tough for a guy with limited skills and tools?

TIA,
-LT

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Gerber/CMG Sonic disassembly. Been done?

The answer is, yes it's been done now. I did it with minimal damage, only scratches.
soniccropsmall9yc.jpg

Now to see if I can solder the new LED w/o cooking anything.

-LT

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any one like the gerber better? also BTT on how to get the circuit out. VDG

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

VDG,

Been kinda busy so I forgot about this thread till you mentioned liking the Sonic.

I cooked the Sonic in a toaster on "light" twice. Each time letting it sit in there till the toaster was cool. Then I got one of those square rubber sheets you use to help open jars and put it in the jaws of my pliers. Another rubber sheet I wrapped around the body of the light and then just twisted. There is a seam between the head and the top knurling. It wasn't very tight after the heat and the glue is easy to remove.

You can't really counter sink the LED because of the big black round thing in the right of the picture above but you can lower it some.
img1030small0zi.jpg

I also used heat shrink tubing to put around the led to keep it centered and non-moving.
img1029small6se.jpg

I think the 26mcd LEDs are a bit smaller or their profile is different. I've noticed some slop in direct replacements on other lights.

Good luck.
-LT

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

LT,

Thank you for sharing your mod experience.

I have an idea to sink the LED. I assume, the black round thing you are talking about is an inductor. You can probably dremel off the base of the LED without interfering with it's optical output and die.

-vince

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

koala,

I probably could've gotten it lower, 1mm, but because I didn't know what that component was I was afraid to set the LED directly on it. It was a pretty easy mod considering I have no skills. I'm quite pleased with the result and want to get more Sonics to tweak and give as presents.

Also the heat shrink lights up nicely. Next time I may try red.

-LT

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

luna thanks a lot!! I will give that try today. VDG

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

That would be cool even just to apply some glow paint. I think that the dash of your car might get hot enough to loosen the glue.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

was the LED hard to get in? looks like the legs are bend 90%'s and then laid in there. am I close? VDG

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope the LED was easy just a bit tough to center but the shrink tube helped.

LT