good LED light for First Aid Kit

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
what can you guys recommend a good LED light for my First Aid Kit? It should be light small but not too small. It should produce actual white light instead of blueish color. Cost should be reasonable. I am not Bill Gates. The light should last at least 2hrs or above. I don't need a light cannon. Something that is bright enought to light up the forest trail for 20-30ft. The light should be water resistant at minimum.It must withstand cold/hot weather without the case cracking.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Infinity might be just a little weak to push out to 10 yards. PT Attitude would do it. One of the UKE 4AA's, a Streamlight, or a mini-mag with an LED drop-in would fit your needs, too.

But how 'bout a headlamp? Handsfree & shines where you're looking.

Also, the light that I'd use for first aid chores most likely wouldn't be the one I'd use for hiking to the scene, but that's just me.

An E1l would do it all, if you aren't stuck on using just AA or AAA batteries (and 123's really aren't that expensive), but what's your budget limit?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 1st aid kit should have at least one keychain red LED for splinter removal. If there are kids it should also have colored bandaides.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Petzl Zipka. Its small enough to stow away and when needed the retractable cord converts it into a headlamp so you can have both hands free. Besides, you get plenty of runtime and brightness is quite decent for close up to medium tasks.

An Eternalight will also provide you with nice, white even light for many many hours and is waterproof and long lasting. A TekTite Splashlite Led will run about 7-8 hrs (not the Luxeon) and the small size makes it very convenient to keep. Runs 1x123 cell, so long term storage is of no issue. The Splashlite is also very much brighter than a Infinity Ultra, by the way...

Else a bunch of the CC 20 for $20 keychain lights ought to do the trick too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mike Painter said:
A 1st aid kit should have at least one keychain red LED for splinter removal. If there are kids it should also have colored bandaides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Since I have a plentiful supply of the whites I put a couple in, but why specifically red? Excuse my ignorance..

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If your first aid kit is small a uk2AAA eled with lithium batteries would probably run close to 30 hours and be bright enough to do stuff in dark places.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
picard said:
The light should last at least 2hrs or above. I don't need a light cannon. Something that is bright enought to light up the forest trail for 20-30ft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the lights that others have been proposing here won't reach 30 feet unless you throw them.

If you want a small 'get out of dodge' general purpose light, I'd suggest a T2 and some form of diffuser. The T2 will run for five hours, is water resistant, and will take pretty much any mechanical abuse one cares to throw at it. As for a diffuser, a piece of white cloth, or a paper towel, will work well to spread out the T2's narrow beam for extreme close range work.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tec EOS. wrap the headband around the light and tuck it in your kit. that trick would probly work with any headlamp without a top strap (or removeable top strap).

a Nuwai Q3 should also be quite tuckable. an Inova T2 also has a smooth profile if you can fit a little more length in, depending on the size of your kit. heck, if it's long enough i'd probly tuck a Gerber LX 3.0/TX 3.0 along the side of one!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could always go with the uk4AA eled. with lithiums it should run a long time and be waterproof enough for all but swimming.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about INOVA XO LED ?

I think I might get the INOVA XO. Does it produce a true white light like SF LED light?I really hate a bluish color LED. I am a civilian. I don't want red LED military version.

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
Re: What about INOVA XO LED ?

I'd consider a flashlight/headlamp which uses Lithium cells instead of alkalines for long time storage and cold weather performance.
I guess a Nuwai Q-I (TM-306X) would meet also your runtime and water resistance requirements.

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Have you got an old AA Mag? I'd get a Terralux Ministar two and a couple of lithium AA's. Will run for well over 15 hours at nearly maximum and will meet all the criteria you have requested. It is also very white!

Doug

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

An X0 would be a good choice. The exact color you get will depend on what Luxeon bin you happen to win, but Inova lights tend to be pretty white.

@Dougmccoy: the Ministar has even less throw than a stock minimag. Not exactly the best option for trail use.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
[ QUOTE ]
Mike Painter said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Since I have a plentiful supply of the whites I put a couple in, but why specifically red? Excuse my ignorance..

[/ QUOTE ]

Red penetrates well into skin and blood, wood and metal don't absorb the color so a splinter, even the hard to see flesh colored ones show up as a very black item on the red background.
Hold a red LED up to your finger to see how well they penetrate.
(Or go into your kids room at night, put a red LED in your mouth and puff your cheeks in and out. No I will n ot change the sheets.)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Looks like I gotta keep a couple more reds for myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No kids, but I tried looking at it in the mirror with my 20+ lumen red DD sandwich, not quite enough light to illuminate the cheeks, or maybe it isn't dark enough. But I notice I can transilluminate my hand quite easily.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a thought (No, really, I did) -- I don't know your level of training. And suggestions for lights might be better tailored to your needs if we knew what level training you had and the intended uses. Are you hiking alone or with friends and family? What sort of terrain would you be in? Need light for pulling splinters/bumps & bruises, or for more serious incidents?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
No kids, but I tried looking at it in the mirror with my 20+ lumen red DD sandwich, not quite enough light to illuminate the cheeks, or maybe it isn't dark enough. But I notice I can transilluminate my hand quite easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be dark and start with your face in a normal position then puff your cheeks. It's *interesting* even with a full beard.