CPF Slow ?. Try FireFox... And See the Difference

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All,

I am not sure if this has been covered previously or not... But This is Important for users on Dial-up as well as the Broad Band Users.

Many Guys Feel that CPF is slow... loading... But My experiance has been CPF Loads Fast (especially on the MAC)... Safari Browser....

My Ever Lasting wish was .... Just if ... there was a Browser.... that Allowed Tabbed Browsing... on Windows....

I have tried all the browsers.... on Windows... Namely Explorer... Opera .. Netscape and Mozilla....

Today... I just tried another browser... Mozilla(5) / FireFox 1.0.3....

Its TABBED Browsing, FREE, FAST and Just SUPERB...

Want to Download it ? http://www.mozilla.org/ Here you Go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Enjoy a Whole New Way of Browsing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
In MY case, I've tried just about all browsers (IE, Netscape, Firefox, and Opera), and I've found little or no improvement in CPF loading speeds.

My understanding is that slow CPF loading is mainly caused by several factors at CPF end, regardless of browser used.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CPF Slow ?. Try FireFox... And See the Differe

Have You tried the FireFox 1.0.3 ... .

For Me.. there has been Improvement like.. may be a 1000% i.e. 10 Times Faster....

Most of the time, I am interested in Reading Text First.. then seeing the images... especially when the post is techi.

cy

Flashaholic

thanks frenchy, just tried firetune.

works great!

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Here's a better version of FireFox by Moox who creates an optimized version with CPU build specific code; and it's free: Moox's Web Site

Moox's builds are much more stable and noticeably faster.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find FireFox to be fast by itself... I can just now imagine ... about compiling it for my own system including the CPU Build etc...

Its Just amazing... thats all i can say...

L

LITEmania

FireFox works, MUCH faster. Thanks for the info.

Spacemarine

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
S4MadMan said:
Here's a better version of FireFox by Moox who creates an optimized version with CPU build specific code

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great idea!

Btw: If you use gentoo, ALL of your programs are optimized for your specific CPU, not just your browser!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Frenchyled said:
Yeah, Firefox is very nice and better if you use this free plug in :

FireTune for Firefox v1.x

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the difference between download w/installer or w/o?
I am currently using Firefox as my browser.
TIA
Oh, and how do I know what rev of FF do I have?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just Click on Help & About....

The Download for FireFox is very small as compared to Other Browsers....

I have been using it for more than 12 Hours now... and it hasent crashed even once !... and thats an achievement ... for my kind of usage.... almost 80 - 90 tabs are open....

IE Crashes / Stalls after 40 Windows... .. and one of the MAJOR Drawback of IE .. is SLOW Rendering of tables... Multiple windows... Lacks TABS !....

Here.. In FireFox.... Its JUST DYNAMIC.. simply fast.............. too fast.... (similar to the Safari Browser.. in my MAC) ....

paulr

Flashaholic

CPF's slowness is because of software problems on the server side. See the "extreme makeover" thread for what's going to be done about it: the board is moving to better software.

A blurb at the bottom of the page I'm viewing with this thread says: "Generated in 12.729 seconds in which 12.111 seconds were spent on a total of 18 queries. Zlib compression disabled.". That means the server spent over 12 seconds getting the page ready to send. The new software, if done right, should take less than 1 second.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please Forgive my Impatience... but..."Extreme Makeover".... is being seen since... umm more than a month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... ... looks like its extreeme of extreme makeover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, for current need... FireFox has sufficed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (made me a lil more patient)..... I was browsing in the Unknown before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... yeah.. imagine this lil software has impressed me much ... or shall i say .... to an extreme /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LukeK

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:
I find FireFox to be fast by itself... I can just now imagine ... about compiling it for my own system including the CPU Build etc...

Its Just amazing... thats all i can say...

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Gentoo Linux, which compiles every program from it's source. I can say that for almost all programs there's really not much difference in runtime speed between a program that's compiled from source for your specific processor and a program that's been pre-compiled. Processors are much too fast these days to see a big difference from compiler optimizations. Now, if you took an old CPU and compiled a program specifically for that processor, you'd see a much bigger difference. Ironically, the processors you see the most difference with are the ones that take the longest to compile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic

I regularly update my FireFox version and haven't noticed any change in loading speed at CPF. I'll see if Frenchy's plugin does anything. At the office I already have FF finetuned for the fastest loads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, yeah, tabbed browsing is the only way to browse the web. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cy

Flashaholic

greenled, like you I alway update to latest firefox and have never notice change in loading speed at cpf. until I tried Frenchy's suggestion.

cpf now loads noticebly faster after installing firetune.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dont have any plugins to optimize FireFox...

The Only Plugins installed are... Macromedia Flash & Acrobat Reader...

Rest is just simple FireFox 1.0.3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

There is a few settings related to pipelining etc I manually made to firefox but in CPF there isn't a lot you can do to speed it up that I know of beyond that. I have the adblock plugin but don't block CPF banners because they are not tasteless and irritating like some sites tend to do.. blink, flash, constantly cycle ads through dragging my dialup down.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

ViReN,
Are you employed by mozilla as an online ad? Just joking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, you seem to really love that program and are very fervent in spreading the FireFox name.

I have tried FireFox and it didn't make much difference compared to my usual browser, Opera. Perhaps it was the slow machine I was using at the time. Definately faster than IE, if that is really saying much.

namaste