ok super volcanoes stink!!!!!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just watched the spcail about em on discovery chanel man they look to be bad. now i never worry bout that stuff cause well there isnt a reason to worry about it i think but man .if i under stand corect if yellow stone erupts its like the ends of the world...or at least very bad....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Not on "our watch", please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

LightChucker

Enlightened
Just like a lot of other people, Carol and I spent some time there.

We spent the first night at Old Faithful Inn. It's just a home run from the geyser itself. The guide told us that we were walking on top of the biggest volcano in the world. That was interesting for sure, but it didn't hit me until that night at the Inn. I looked at the ground outside my window, and it was bubbling and sizzling hot water! I mean our hotel room was obviously sitting right on top of what could blow up and become another geyser. They showed us NEW geysers that had only recently (past year) blown up without warning. Geez! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif In fact, one of the existing geysers blew up and destroyed the observation deck where people stand to look at it. No one was hurt. The point is, that place is NOT stable! They have new eruptions ALL the time. Seeing it on TV just isn't anything like walking on top of it with your own feet. Really, I am a little surprised that that place is so open to the public.

Oh another thing that happened: We spent the second night at Lake Yellowstone Hotel. We got up and started driving around the park. We noticed a small finger of smoke rising in the distance. We of course thought it to be the start of a distant forest fire. We stopped to tell a ranger about it. H blew it off, and said, "Oh sure, we already know about that. No big deal." Long story short: by the next morning the fire was huge, and it was just agross the cove from the hotel. We were starting to choke from the smoke. Visibility was low too. We packed up everything and checked out that morning! Goodbye Yellowstone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Chuck

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worked in the park in 1961.

After touring a bit, I came to the conclusion that it was not a quaint place, but a dangerous one. We have learned since then, that it is true.

A similar supervolcano in Indonesia 74,000 years ago, almost extinguished Homo Sapiens, and many other species.

It'll come again.

ledlurker

Enlightened
the one thing the movie failed to deal with was the global starvation that could happen if the volcano was larger than a level 5. Past eruptions in other areas in the world have been level 8, but those happened over several hundred thousand years ago.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i didn't watch the program (or rather, i started to but decided it was a waste of time), because it's more fiction than anything else. i've also noticed the same with the "dragons" special, and "noah's flood" special they had a while back.

they take a bunch of information, and use that as the backbone of their fictious story.
these three specials (about the only specials i've seen of this nature, so i'm not sure if it's indicative of specials in general), really bothered me, because they protrayed fiction as scientific fact.
i watched almost the entire dragons one, and most of the "facts" they provided were made up, as they explained at the end. from what little i saw of the volcano one, i'd guess it was the same?
the same with the noahs flood special. in the beginning they provided a couple possible explanations of what happened, and then promptly disregarded the biblical account as impossible and made up one of their own.

sorry, it just really bothers me that they turn something serious, and potentially educational into a fictious entertainment show, and worst of all, much of the information they profide is not only unaccurate, but misleading.
it's not accurate, it's not true, and it's not honest.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ledlurker said:
the one thing the movie failed to deal with was the global starvation that could happen if the volcano was larger than a level 5. Past eruptions in other areas in the world have been level 8, but those happened over several hundred thousand years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you missed that part. I remember that they warned about crops failing and the cattle dropping dead everywhere. Remember, they said that if people just stayed where they were they would starve to death. They called it the "Walk to Life" I think. They were walking east out of the dead zone, and FEMA was going to drop food to as many people as they could along the way. Also, near the end, they were showing how the fallout had managed to cover every place on Earth.

Chuck