Has anyone modded KL5 with Lux III?

emiya

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has modded Kl5 with Lux III. I've already got BugOutGear's drop in and am quite happy with it, but I think with KL5's larger reflector and with DC to DC converter (not necessarily be KL5's original) handling larger current, it can be a lot brighter and throws further. Well, I'm quite new to this hobby and may be the question itself is rather pointless but can't get this out of my head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Has anyone got an experience? or knows someone already done it? Any opinions and thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Modding a KL5? Sacrilegious! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just joking of course, but the KL5 has a really wonderful beam in it self, and able to run of Pilas as well. First of all I'm not a modder at all, but AFAIK some of our esteemed modders have tried to modify the KL5, but found it very difficult to disassemble without damaging the finish. The KL3 however is supposed to be easier, and is done by Chop.

Ohh welcome to CPF BTW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Jan

emiya

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot, Jan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif Just wanted to know if KL5 could be turned into even better thrower with its large reflector. But if it cannot be done without really damaging it, that would not be an option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

emiya

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot IsaacHayes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif and sorry for posting/replying late./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif I just (accidentally) found an image of the modded KL6. Seemed like those three screws were unscrewed and head was opened. Wonder if the same can be done to KL5, but I think I should give a go with an unmodded KL5 in the first place. Thanks again for the information.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Yes, the KL6 can be moded - I did mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Those 3 screws is all that stands between you and the emiter.

With help from others here I modified the OEM circuit to go from about 650mA to right at 1000mA - very nice!

Will