Micromag Questions

Bradlee

Enlightened
I recently obtained a micromag/Mini-minimag [1 x AA cut-down mini-maglite, for those that don't know] (Thanks Reefphilic!) and am wondering what I need to know about the opperation and modification of this type of light.

I am thinking specifically of ruinning a NexGen 750 on a 14500 Li-Ion (as I have seen others do). I've noticed suggestions such as letting the battery sit for a few minutes so as not to overpower the circuit too much, but are there any other simple things I should know?

For instance:
-Will heat dissipation be a proglem if I am not holding the light?
-Should I be using a heat conducting compound to ensure heat is transfered to the body?
-At such a high current, is the internal resistance of a kroll switch negligable?
-How bright would it be compared to a benchmark light like the QIII?

Right now I am running the stock bulb on a cell taken from a CRV3, but I notice a funny (acidic?) smell from the battery compartment when I take off the tailcap (not having been used for very long). Is this typical? I don't notice any leakage from the battery but thought it might be gas (hydrogen?) which is naturally released by a Lithium battery. I am carrying the light arround my neck, so I don't want the light to blow up or anything!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

Thanks in advance,
-Brad

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, lithium batteries dont really release hydrogen. Isnt this the case with alkalines? Which is why someone had a PT surge explode once... With lithiums the case was something like overdischarge of one cell in a 2 celled light. I own a MicroMag with a MadMax. Maybe I should upgrade to a Nexgen sometime soon. The voltage going through the NexGen shouldnt exeed 3volts. Even after letting the 14500 cool off some excess voltage, it is still going to be charged little over 3 volts. So the internal resistance from the kroll might help out... I never tried a 14500 on a sandwich, and dont plan on doing so anytime soon since it is not recommended to run over 3 volts on any sandwich. If you do plan on the 14500 route, then it will probably be as or even more bright than a QIII.

Bradlee

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick responce, Mags. I don't know where i got the impression Li-Ion's released Hydrogen but I guess the little "vent" like holes in the top of the cell supported this idea in my mind. If anyone does know what this suspicious smell could be, feel free to share.

My electronics knowlege is pretty feble, but: As resistance increases would not the current decrease, and the voltage remain the same?

If this is so (current changes) would the resistance of a kroll affect the light output, or does sandwhich maintain a constant current and voltage?

I started to notice a bit of residue in the battery tube, and just a bit on the end of the battery. I think the battery is indeed leaking. Has anyone else had this problem with a battery removed from a CRV3?