UK 4AA Rechargeable question. Anyone done this?

LightHearted

Enlightened
I have a UK eLED (which I get a lot of use out of) and would like to be able to turn it into the incan rechargeable version of the same light. Do I just need to buy the 4W lamp assembly and use NIMH AAs? Will this produce the same exact output as the 4AA Rechargeable? Has anyone done this? According to Quickbeam's measurements, this light has about the same throw as a SF P60/61 with a little less overall output and twice the runtime. This looks like a very useful and modular combination.

Thanks,
Ken

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: UK 4AA Rechargeable question. Anyone done this

If the 4watt lamp is the same one that replaces the one in the rechargable light you probably will get BETTER runtime than the nicad version UK sells with the same output. I don't really know about the brightness/throw part.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with Lynx_Arc. Your approach should yield the same output as a store-bought xenon rechargeable 4W UK 4AA, with longer run time.

UK "4AA"") and Pelican "Stealthlite" both make a 4AA with a moderate-power xenon lamp, a high-power xenon lamp and nicads, and an LED module. In both cases, you can have the best of both worlds if you buy the LED light, buy the high-power xenon lamp, and carry the second lamp as a spare wherever you go.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would lithiums hurt the 4W assembly? Might drive them a bit hard.

The modularity of the UK4aa/2L is fantastic.
I am curious as to the runtimes of the 2.1w and 4w lamps with various bat configurations (alkies, AA lithiums and 123's).

Guess I need to send Roy some lights/bats (with return postage, of course) for testing!

Bob

Freedom1955

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
Would lithiums hurt the 4W assembly? Might drive them a bit hard.

The modularity of the UK4aa/2L is fantastic.
I am curious as to the runtimes of the 2.1w and 4w lamps with various bat configurations (alkies, AA lithiums and 123's).

Guess I need to send Roy some lights/bats (with return postage, of course) for testing!

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I use my UK4AA with the 4 watt and lithiums. I've been running this setup for awhile and it's still on the first set of batteries.

P.S. It's really bright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

My guess is lithiums higher voltage would sag some under the load of the 4W lamp but will end up overdriving the lamp and perhaps reduce the life of it 20%. But my limited experience in UK lamps vs other high output suggests they tend to have sturdier lamps and may even not overdrive them as hard so it may be just fine. I have had a pelican mightylite 2AAA xenon... in fact 3 of them and have gone through about 9 or so bulb/modules and bought a uk2AAA xenon and have yet to burn one out in over 10 years. If their lamps for their higher output lights match this observation they should be fairly sturdy.

paulr

Flashaholic

People have been using the 4W lamp on the 2L body with 2xCR123 and it works fine. Using it on a 4AA body with 4xL91 (1.7 volts per cell) might be asking a bit much.