smallest brightest LED and driver?

Weylan

Enlightened
I have a friend that makes glass jewelery. Beads in fact. They are clear with a ton of detial on the outside. She has them for ear rings. Most of the time they just look like glass bead ear rings, but if you feel them by hand you can feel the texture and detail. I suggested that she might use an LED inside to help people see the detail while they are on display.

This got me thinking of how small an LED we can get to put inside and back light the detail of the beads. Or how small a driver we can get to make the ear rings light up while wearing the beads as ear rings.

I could use all suggestions for micro LED drivers too. I bet lighing them up for a couple of hours would be fine off of some really small button sells would work. So how small can we go to make an LED driver and LED package. The LED driver does not have to go inside the bead, but the LED does. I was thinking we could hang the driver from the ear ring hook behind the ear, hidden, so we would be able to use some slightly larger batteries for longer run time.

Thoughts?

mike101

Newly Enlightened
You can grind the acrylic of a LED to the size bearly cover the phosphorous die and connecting leads. The size of this bead-like stuff would be smaller than 3mm in diameter. I did grind the LED to fit in my project Solitaire drop in pill that I would post later on the Homemade and Modified Lights Forum.

For the driver, you don't really need a driver. You can use two or three buttons cells connected in series to obtain 3 to 6 volts direct driving the LED. I found some key-chain lights direct drive the LED with two 2016, that was 3 volts x 2 = 6 volts and had no problem at all.