ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first SATA drive

Default My first SATA drive

Took the leap into SATA this weekend. I have an ASUS Mobo w/onboard SATA controller so I decided what the heck.

Anyone have feedback on their expereinces with SATA vs IDE?

Default Re: My first SATA drive

It's fast [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Good bit faster in most cases.

Mine still has to take a couple secs to bring up my photo folder though.
    But then i cant blame it, it contains 16,873 files 358 folders [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img]

i have sata raid its so fast

Speed is great! But you're back at the far end of the price bell curve again, like higher end SCSI drives used to be. But in spite of computer people telling us over and over that you can build a low end PC for $29.95 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] it's still true that you get what you pay for [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] the smaller cabling I really like too, much easier to deal with internally than those big ribbon cables.

o yeah forgot about the cabling i hate ide cables sata is so much smler

Flashaholic*

I jumped on the SATA bandwagon two months ago with my new home theater PC build. The SATA drives I picked were the Seagate 7200.8 80GB drive for MCE 2005 operating system and Samsung 160GB for quiet recording of TV shows.

The cabling rocks! I liked it so much that I ordered a rounded IDE cable for my older HP DVD burner. The speed difference is noticable and the price premium is only a couple of bucks.

The difference between the Seagate and Samsung drives speed wise is nil, they are both quick. When it comes to heat the Samsung runs about 2C cooler. The Samsung is also much quieter in operation so it was a good choice for storage of TV programs (don't want to hear the drive when watching programs) I added a Zalman 11 heat pipe cooler/suspension system on the Seagate to cool it a little better and isolate the noise. It works very well and is as cool as the Samsung but still a little louder.

If you have SATA connectors on your mobo, by all means get SATA drives. The smaller cables will give much better airflow and they are a little quicker. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the feedback guys - this is most useful. Raggie, what level of RAID are you running? I'm considering adding a second drive for mirroring.

*Edit a bit later*

So far it does seem faster than an equivalent IDE drive, although I'll probably see a reduction in speed when I add a mirroring drive. I'm using a WD 80GB 7200rpm SATA drive.

Anybody have long term experience with Samsung drives?

Flashaholic*

Photon,
    I read a lot of information about Samsung drives before I bought one. The quality of the drives have jumped up in the last several years and they have a 3 year warranty. Seagate has 5 years and tend to be very reliable so I picked the 80GB single platter for reliability and loaded the operating system on it.
    My Samsung gets filled up with TV shows, offloaded to DVD-Rs, defragged and filled again. I have not noted any weirdness when doing this and the drive is cool running and the quietest drive I have ever used.
    Western Digital and Maxtor have a 1 year warranty so I passed on those. My Samsung drive has a Nidec motor in it which prove to be more reliable and quieter running. Samsung is now bringing out 250GB drives, they only put up to two platters in their drives for much better reliability, cooler running, quietness and low power use.

Flashaholic*

newegg.com sells 160GB Samsung SATA for $93. Cool and quiet. I've only had mine a week but so far so good.

PATA is ancient history. The equivalent Samsung PATA sells for $94. It costs you an extra dollar to get last century technology.

i stick with maxotr i only had one fail and i sent it in and in 5 days or so had no drive on door dtep thats fast

Flashaholic

western digital 40GB 7200rpm IDE vs 10,000rpm dual western digital Raptor sata raid-0 array. (SiL 3112 onboard sata
    raid controller...MB = Asus A7N8X-E deluxe)

each drive runs about 100 bucks. mobo is about 75.

nuff said...can anyone say sustained transfer rates?
    night and day difference in speed of everything.

i have to say, once you go raid-0 on two 10k rpm sata drives with 5.4ms seeks, you'll never go back. granted the combined capacity is "only" 36gb x 2.

if you have the bucks for the two 74gb raptors ($200 each) they both have 4.5ms seek times. and native command queuing support. which almost makes them SCSI [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Leon

How are the SATA about error detection? I'm talking disk errors as well as controller errors.

SCSI drives are real good about detecting and reporting bad data on the drives. ATA drives do not always report when they have bad data. I've had "flaky" computers that tested out fine, but had intermittant bad data reads from the drive. This caused programs to crash for weeks or months, and eventually the disks went totally bad.

Does the SATA drive have any sort of data parity detection and reporting?

Daniel

Flashaholic

6 months of 24/7 operation. no faults yet. the best controllers are SiL, Promise, and High Point. I hear the Intel matrix RAID controller is ok as well but i'm not too sure.

Leon

maybe ya all can help me with this problem when i ebable sata raid on my pc its a nforce 3 controler on win 2k i get a reboot like once a day. when it int enabled my pc never crashes i mean never it stays on for weeks at a time

Flashaholic*

Win 2K ?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif[/img]

Sorry about that, had a flashback about 2K hell. Anyway, it could be you need to upgrade the drivers on the mobo to Win 2K specific drivers. I have not heard about any problems with the nForce3 so it is probably not a BIOS issue.

My way of cheating when it came to Win 2K problems was to load XP on the puppy. I would check nVidia's website to see if they have any known issues with your operating system. Good luck!

w2k also is a lot slower on loading anything. And XP has much better (built in) configuration of WiFi. You can make XP look like win2k too (95 style).

Thanks for the report, Leon. Looks like you have the same mobo that I'm using. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

The first machine I'm working on is going to be a "serious" business machine and I'm going for reliability rather than access speed, so I'm going to set it up as Raid-1 mirrored drives. The next Sata Raid that I build will be a video machine, so I'll probably set that up as striped drives instead in order to favor throughput.

well darn xp them idiots said i reinsinstaled it to much i always change stuff outa this pc and they think its a new pc. so i cant install it no more im sick a calling microsoft

[ QUOTE ]
    BentHeadTX said:
    My Samsung drive has a Nidec motor in it which prove to be more reliable and quieter running.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the specifics on the Samsung drives, BentHead. I almost bought a couple of them instead of the WDs, but I wasn't familiar with them yet. Glad to hear that they're turning out a good product.

I wonder if they're using fluid bearings to reduce the noise. I think a lot of the HDs used in the current generation of DVRs are using fluid bearings for this reason.

Quite a few hard drive use fluid bearings... i know the seagate and maxtor ones i have do

Flashaholic*

The Samsung seek is also quiet. When I'm working it hard, like running a diagnostic, I can occasionally hear a little rumble. Otherwise I can't hear it at all.

The only quieter one I have is the Maxtor with the seek jerk adjusted for quiet. The Maxtors seem to have quality control problems though and some seem to run quite hot.

Actually I'm beginning to suspect the temperature that my drives report. My Samsung reports a lower temperature than my IR thermometer shows and my Maxtor reports a higher temperature.

Flashaholic*

gadget_lover, I've not had any serious disk drive problems. From where I'm sitting, I can see six of them. I do run a drive diagnostic about once a month. These diagnostics seem pretty good about finding sick drives before they cause any trouble. I just run the SMART test and the quick test. The only drive that failed on me in the last ten years was caught this way before it did any damage.

I also watch the drive temperature. It seems there's not much I can do about it though and still have a quiet computer. I have one Maxtor that sometimes reports a temp of around 150 F, when formatting or checking, but I just make sure everything important on it is backed up. I'm not going to crank up the fan just for that bleepin' thing. And I'm not sure it's really that hot anyway.

Yes Raggie, Maxtor is good with the RMA exchange. I suspect they have lots of practice. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i like ubcd its ultimate boot cd it has like every harddrive utilty on it .ya boot from the cd. it also has other features like memtest .it has so many cool apps to do everything ya could want on ya hardrive or pc.

Flashaholic*

Never tried that one. For standalone hard drive testing I like the Seagate "desktop" one. They have a CD image available that you can use to create your own bootable CD. I happen to use Microsoft's memory tester that also can be booted from CD.

For routine hard drive testing I use the WD WinDlg version 1.0 because it runs under the OS. No booting required.

here is link like an y file from net scan it but i never had a problem with it
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
    this is what it haves
    Hard Disk Installation
    MaxBlast 3 (Maxtor) 3.6
    DiscWizard 2003 (Seagate) 10.45.06
    Disk Manager (Seagate) 9.56a
    Disk Manager (Samsung) 10
    Hard Disk Diagnosis
    Drive Fitness Test (IBM/Hitachi) 4.00
    PowerMax (Maxtor/Quantum) 4.09
    DLG Diagnostic (Western Digital) 4.15
    DLG Diagnostic (Western Digital) 5.04c
    Data Lifeguard (Western Digital) 11.0
    SeaTools Desktop (Seagate) 1.06.02
    SeaTools Desktop (Seagate) 3.00.07en
    Diagnostic Tool (Fujitsu) 6.20
    SHDIAG (Samsung) 1.25
    HUTIL (Samsung) 1.19
    GWSCAN (Gateway) 3.15
    GWSCAN (Gateway) 5.09
    Salvation HDD Scan and Repair 3.0
    MHDD32 4.0
    Ontrack Data Advisor Free Edition 5.0
    Hard Disk Device Management
    Feature Tool (IBM/Hitachi) 1.94
    AMSET (Maxtor) 4.00
    MAXLLF (Maxtor) 1.1
    UATA100 (Seagate) 3.06
    Ultra ATA Manager (Western Digital) June, 2003
    SMARTUDM 2.00
    ATA Password Tool 1.1
    ATAINF 1.3m
    Hard Disk Wiping
    AutoClave 0.3
    Active@ KillDisk Free Edition 3.1
    Darik's Boot and Nuke 1.0.4
    PC INSPECTOR e-maxx 0.95 Build 775
    Hard Disk Cloning
    HDClone (Free Edition) 2.0
    g4u 1.17
    PC INSPECTOR clone maxx 0.95 Build 769
    XXCOPY 2.85.9
    Hard Disk Sector Editor
    Disk Editor 3.0
    DISKMAN4 4.01
    PTS DiskEditor 1.04
    Partition Tools
    Ranish Partition Manager 2.44
    XFDISK (Extended FDISK) 0.9.3beta
    SPFDISK (Special FDISK) 2000-03q
    TestDisk 5.5
    Partition Resizer 1.3.4
    Partition Saving 2.91
    Free FDISK 1.3.0
    MBRtool 2.2.100
    MBRWork 1.07b
    FIPS 2.0
    Active@ Partition Recovery 2.1.1
    Boot Managers
    Smart BootManager 3.7R1
    Gujin 0.9
    GAG 4.5d
    XOSL 1.1.5
    File Managers
    DOS Navigator 4.9.0
    File Maven 3.5a
    NTFS Tools
    Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
    Note: The SCSI drivers are available on the CD in scsi/. Selecting "[a] autoprobe for the driver" on startup should do the trick. 041205
    Active NTFS Reader for DOS 1.0.1
    EditBINI 1.01.1
    Boot Partition 2.50
    System Burn-In Test
    Lucifer 1.0
    CPU Test
    CPU Burn-in 1.00
    Mersenne Prime Test 23.5.2
    Memory Test
    Memtest86 3.2
    Memtest86+ 1.40
    Windows Memory Diagnostic n/a
    DocMem RAM Diagnostic 1.45a
    DocMem RAM Diagnostic 2.1b
    TestMem4 4
    ctramtest 5.1
    Peripherals Test
    Parallel port detection and test utilities 1.45
    ATAPI CDROM Identification 2.03
    CPU Information
    Intel Processor Frequency ID Utility 7.2.20041115
    System Information
    AIDA16 2.14
    NSSI 0.58.6
    PC-Config 9.33
    ASTRA 4.21
    PCISniffer 1.3
    PCI
    pcidevs.txt: 21 Nov 2004 0.49B
    CTIA 2.1
    Benchmark Applications
    System Speed Test 32 4.78
    3D Benchmark VGA 1.0
    CPU Benchmark n/a
    CD Index 1.1
    BIOS Utilities
    BIOS 1.35.1
    UniFlash 1.38
    WipeCMOS 1.2
    CMOSPWD 4.4
    !BIOS 3.20
    DOS Boot Disks
    FreeDOS Boot Disk 3.22
    NwDsk: NetWare Boot Disk 3.22
    Madboot Floppy 8.0
    MSRRC: Bart's Network Boot Disk on FreeDOS 3.22
    Antivirus Tools
    F-Prot Antivirus for DOS (Personal use only)
    Virus definition: 16 Jan 2005 3.16a
    McAfee Antivirus Scanner
    Virus definition: 12 Jan 2005 4.32.0
    Avast! V7.7 for DOS
    Virus definition: 18 Jan 2005 7.7
    AntiVir Personal Edition
    Virus definition: 18 Jan 2005 6.29.0.5
    Network Tools
    Freesco 0.3.2
    Arachne WWW Browser 1.79
    QNX Demo Browser (network and modem version) 4.00
    NetCopy 0.2
    DOSRDP

Flashaholic*

A lot of stuff there. It does seem to have the two diagnostics I use. Seagate "desktop" diag, and Microsoft's memory tester.

It has some stuff I wouldn't use. Like the stuff that tinkers with the partitions.

I don't know about the others.

Have you tried BartPE yet? It's not a replacement for this, but it's kind of interesting. You can actually run XP from a CD. No hard drive required, but if it's there, it can use it. It's a stripped down version for testing, pre-installing etc. The worst thing about it is it takes me 10 minutes or so to boot from the CD.

Flashaholic

BartPE ROCKS!

once you start adding programs you'll never stop!!! arg!!.

if you're trying to build your own plugin, have a lot of spare CDs around, cause it's rare that you dont miss something critical to the operation of a proggie.

but once you get it it's pure bliss. i run all my diagnostics off of bartpe.

external virus scans, hardware diagnostics, partition magic, reghosting drives, raw disk editing and file recovery, adware removal, you can also use ERD commander plugin to connect to the registry of the PC u're using.

if you're building the CD, take a look at Sherpya's BuildScripts utility. it precaches hardware plug and play IDs and makes the boot time about 3 to 4 times faster.

i also make a lot of slipstreamed and unattended windows XP install disks. very handy.

I've been meaning to try to get BartPE to work natively with my raid array, it's turning out to be tricky. but i havent done so in some time.

Leon

Flashaholic*

I First want to Thank Leeoniya for Putting up his test results. He'z inspired me to check on my HDD's too ...

I never had a chance to check my HD Ratings (actually never bothered, used to think as long as it is Seagate, it will do [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) However... It was a Pleasent Surprise to know that SATA is Commanding Fast... over previous HDD's.... Here are the results from the HDTach Test.

My Older (about 6 years old) Desktop Machine PIII 500, 1 GB RAM(100/133 MHz),
    Intel MoBo (SR440 BX) 100/133 MHz Bus Speed (i guess)
    2 HDD's ... 20 GB (ATA) (System Drive) & 40 GB (ATA) (Data Drive), Both Seagate

My Newer (about 2 years old) Desktop Machine PIV 2.4 HT, 2 GB RAM(DDR, Synchronous),
    Intel MoBo (D865GBF) 800 MHz Bus Speed,
    2 HDD's .... 40 GB (ATA) Samsung (System Drive) & 80 GB (SATA) Seagate (Data Drive)

As Apperent, SATA Rocks... as compared with older ATA/IDE/EIDE Technology

Also, interestingly, Older HDD's perform Better at Ending Segments or have more Uniform Data Read Speeds...
    Ahh... well, Newer Machine... seems just like a runtime plot of a Typical Non Regulated Light.. or shall I say Nuwai Light [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Hard Disk's are Reliable, But I Never Rely completely on them.... It's always a good Idea to have DVD's (or CD's) Burned for your important data & that too regularly. A Few Months ago I have shifted to Burning DVD's ... DVD Burning now is cheap & economical... i paid $100 for the Sony, Double Layer 16X DVD Burner and get DVD R @ $0.5 per DVD 4.7 GB Media [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Just give it up and buy some 15k RPM U320 enterprise drives [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast