Checklist for a new Surefire U2 -- ACED!

JML

Enlightened
I'm going to look at two samples in a local retailer. Is this a complete and correct list of what to check, do I have something wrong, or did I miss something:
1. White LED, with no green tint
2. Absence of the dreaded "doughnut hole" in the center of the beam
3. Detents on the level selector ring
4. Uniform HA-III anodization colors (nice, but not critical)

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Checklist for a new Surefire U2?

JML, yours is a "wish list"!
1. You may actually find an U2 with no green at low level.
2. The doughnut hole can be less noticeable only to a certain degree, but will never be totally absent, unless the U2 is defocused.
3. There are no U2, to best of my knowledge, that has detents on the selector ring.
4. Same of above for uniform anodization color.
If I can give you a tip, check the gasket beneath the lens; I have an U2 where the gasket seems mis-cut.

Congratulations for your new U2, it is really a great light...

Anthony

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Checklist for a new Surefire U2?

Two other things to check on:

1. No fingerprints on reflector or inside lens
2. Reliable functioning switch, some early U2's had flaky switches.

JML

Enlightened
Aced!

Well, I got one that aced all the criteria! The Luxeon gods were smiling, and Surefire qc was working overtime on this one. Clean lens, no gasket issues I can see, the whitest 5W Luxeon I've ever seen (whiter than any of my lights, including my Inova XO3, Blaster VI, and Pelican M6LED, and only a slight touch of yellow on the lowest setting!), only the very faintest of doughnut holes or artifacts if the light isn't facing perfectly perpendicular to the surface it's shining on, smooth selector ring, and matching anodization on all parts (no violet tones). WOW! And only $249.

Well, I did add a bit of Nyogel to the threads & o-rings... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif