Safe to use rechargeable 123s with TWOJ?

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
I have a Q3 with a TWOJ. Should I use rechargeable 123s with it, or would they have too high a voltage?

emrbrtn

Enlightened
Now, I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that it would be perfectly fine. leds can be overdriven. Am I correct?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a thread awhile ago mentioning that it is perfectly fine to use an R123 in a Q III. The Q III is actually underdriven, so using R123s shouldnt be a problem.

Sengoku

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chevrofreak said:
I'm using an R123 in my Q3 with TW0J, the problem with this is that it gets pretty hot and the stock Q3 heatsink is just pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it gets pretty hot, then the heatsinking of the Q3 must be GOOD not pathetic! you should be worried if it didnt get hot, means its drawing heat away from the emitter to the whole body.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you direct drive a TW0J with a R123 you get somewhere in the neighborhood of 800mA which is within limit. However the Q3 heatsink is really pathetic just a simple ring to xfer the heat away from the star.

In short it all depends on your runtime. If most of the time you run for < 10 minutes go for it. If you plan to keep it on as a nitelite, I wouldn't recommend so.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag my Q3 TW0J with R123 is getting 1100mA at 3.65 volts, which is why i beefed up the heatsink in my light

fabricated%20heatsink.jpg

but the stock aluminum ring wouldnt be enough for the heat generated methinks

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak nice!

Could you churn out couple extra piece for me.
A friend ask me to make a couple but I just have not had the time.

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
An extra piece for you? Hey wait a minute, this is my thread! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Just kidding... Thanks, everyone, for your replies and suggestions. I guess I'll just have to check it out when I get the batteries.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Chevro - I did the exact same mod after reading your post - I used a pre-1981 penny. Heat shrunk the aluminum ring onto the penny. Works great!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Penny's work great dont they? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not sure what year penny I used for that one.... It would probably say on the other side, but that light isnt ever coming apart again....

not%20enough%20thermal%20compound%20resized.jpg

Yeah, thats all thermal compound with a little epoxy icing.

Modamag, I dont think you'd want me doing work for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One thing I did consider doing was purchasing a copper pipe cap and trimming it down. I bet that would make a great heatsink.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50067603/Pipe_Cap.jpg One like that would work nicely. If I knew the dimensions of the Q3 aluminum ring I could probably hack something together if you wanted. No way I'll be seeing my ring again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
My Q3 aluminum heatsink has got a outer diameter of 21.6 mm and a height of 7.0 mm. My Q3 body has an inner diameter of 21.7mm.
Thanks for the copper pipe cap idea.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta wonder if there isn't a way to machine a heatsink slug for the Q3, but for bare emitters.
This would make heat transfer a bit more efficient with a single slug like that.