Hi there, from an LED newbie...

Chiliad

Newly Enlightened
Long-time flashlight user, but new to LEDs. I need a 1-AAA size pocket light for rooting around in equipment closets. From lurking here, it looks like I missed the perfect light in the Arc AAA. What's next? Has anyone here got an opinion about Peak's latest Matterhorn with the 3-LEDs? Thanks for bringing another ignorant one into the light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chiliad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, nemul and Big_Ed. The Dorcy looks a tad big to hide out in my over-burdened pocket; the Gerber looks about the right size and might just do the trick.

But what if I wanted to step up a bit and was willing to spend up to $50? Where could that take me?

Thanks for the patience...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I have an original brass Peak Matterhorn 3 LED (snow) High Power. The smooth white beam is maybe twice the brightness of the Arc AAA initially, but is more focused. That brightness does seem to drop down to Arc or Sonic levels after a couple hours. I assume the new Matterhorns have similar performance. The brass Peaks are a bit longer and twice the weight of Arcs and Sonics. I certainly would recommend a Matterhorn.

Geoff

Chiliad

Newly Enlightened
ledsrule--Those lights at in2thelight.com are beautiful! And with the selectable led output, they're practical, too. However, they are a little to big for my EDC needs. I need to stay in the 1-AAA setup. Thanks for the pointer, though--I think I'll get one of those down the line!

Cornkid--from my lurking education here on the forum, I gather that Luxeons are special LEDs that requires some stiff voltage to light--not something that 1-AAA-sized unit can handle. If I'm wrong on this, please point me toward something that would work! Thanks!

Latest posts