Newbie question

2wheeledslave

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I'm looking to make my own LED turn signal for my motorcycle, but need a little help. I'm not completely clueless when it comes to electric problems (I've learned a little through engineering classes), but I don't want to just dive in and expect things to work since most of my classes teach theory or ideal situations. We all know the real world doesn't work like that.

The nuts and bolts:

I want to use one Luxeon Lambertian ( http://www.theledlight.com/pdf/Luxeon/Emitters.pdf ) if possible. This is pretty much the only thing that I'm pretty set on using right now assuming you all think it would work ok. The design would be similar to the one in this link (I don't want to buy it due to the high price tag) http://www.greggscustoms.com/600rr_f4i.htm

Questions:

1)Do you think this LED would be bright enough?
2)Obviously, my bike is a 12V system, but I've read that the voltage will actually fluctuate, so what resistance would you suggest? I would run the resistance in parallel right?
3)I wouldn't think that I would, but do I need a small heat sink even though it's not on constantly?
4)Is there anything I'm not considering (besides legallity) that I should know about?

Sorry for the probably easy questions, but I don't want start throwing it all together only to be frustrated later on. Any and all advice answers are greatly appreciated because I'm not sure I'll delve into this without some knowledgeable help from you. Thanks!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. How big of a bike are we talking? You might be able to get by with a single Luxeon in a turn signal, I dunno. I'd personally want at least 3 Luxeons for my brakelights, maybe more. I don't think a single one would be bright enough. As far as a turn signal, though, it might work out. .

I don't know much about voltage and whatnot, but I'd think you need a voltage regulator or something. It'll be healthier than just direct drive.

Yeah, you'd need a heat sink IMO. You should do that anyway, to hold them in place where they need to be.

2wheeledslave

Newly Enlightened
Well, maybe I'll just go ahead and order these:

http://www.greggscustoms.com/led.htm

and just build the rest around it. This just appears to be a luxeon of some sort with a frosted white shell over the actual LED, but what do I know. The LED also doesn't seem to have any heat sink, so besides mounting pitfalls, how problematic would this be?

BTW- it's a Honda sportsbike, F4i to be exact.

SemiMan

Banned
Since you said motorcycle, I would suggest you don't build your own Luxeon turn signals. If someone (including yourself) where to get hurt, you would be liable. You would need a LuxIII for a signal and you would need a properly designed reflector\optic. It is not something I would suggest as your life could depend on it working properly.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
First check with your state laws before doing this. Some states require vehicles on the road to have factory equivalent replacement parts on headlights, turn signals and brake lights and if your state does that you could find yourself being pulled over if your turn signals blind the cop following you because they are too intense.

2wheeledslave

Newly Enlightened
Well these are for the front signals, I plan on buying new rear signals from some manufacturer. If any of you ride a motorcycle then you know that cars simply don't look out for you, anyway, and the front signals aren't near as important as the rear. The only time the front ones are important is if you assume the cars see you in the first place, and if they do, they should wait for you to pass or turn before pulling out on the road. Anyway, that's a whole other subject.

I'm really just trying to save some cash by doing this on my own. The signals I like are over a hundred bucks (the ones at greggscustoms.com) and I think I can make something similar on my own for way cheaper. It's really not if I get "flushmount" signals, it's really about when. Anymore advice on how to build one electrically is extremely appreciated.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the ones you posted a pic of are Luxeons. They look like standard, run of the mill LEDs to me. If the signals I'm looking at are the ones you're talking about, you're paying for the design, not the LEDs themselves. Most people will pay for something that will just bolt right in with little to no work on their part.

I hear ya on how people react to motorcycles, I've got a Suzuki out in my garage. I'm going to put LEDs in whatever I drive, period. There's a TON of info on here about how to do things with LEDs. The more specific you are, the more we can help.