Who made (makes) led desk lamps?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking ahead to getting a better job involving paper work than wearing a headset. For me to read regular print with my eyes I need the light of a white led light. The brighter the better.

For my past jobs I just use a hand held led light. I am going to need an area light and want to do it right than just wearing a head band with my cabelas xpg in it and going through several cr123s a week or making a wall wart power it. Or hanging my xpg from the celling above my desk.

I was wondering if anyone knows the link for the led desk lamp someone here made with a luxon led light and computer heat sink? I would like to talk to that person about making something like that. I was thinking of making a light like that using the rind of luxon led lights like to upgrade a mag light for ultimate brightness with no regards to run time. I searched, but was unable to find it.

Also, I have seen the multi led desk lamps that use a row of 5mm bulbs or a panel of them. I was thinking about that too which I found a few during my search, but i am concerned the light is not that bright under office lighting. I have a 20 led screw in light bulb from the ccrane company, but like my lowes v2 6 chip light and cabelas xpg one best. The beam from the led bulb from the ccrane company is too much of a spot light, I would need a flood where the lamp can be stationary and light up a big area of the desk.

The lamp may need to be able to run off a battery as where i work they do not allow you to plug in fans, heaters, cell phone chargers, etc. A battery powered fan and other battery powered stuff is ok. I dont see this as a problem, but thought i would mention it. So I may still go with no regard to run time and may use my wheelchair to power it or a jump starter pack.

I am thinking of using one of those desk lamps that clamps onto a desk and has two arm sections that allows it to reach and elevelate. Mount a heat sink and fan in the lamp area and mount one of those mag light led lamp rings or multiple luxon led lights. I would like to over drive them to get the bluish color, I think the 3 watt ones are great for that. Maybe further make it with a switch to have one two or several of those lamps on to make it varible brightness.

Thanks

Chiliad

Newly Enlightened
Levenger sells an AC powered one...

Levenger.com

Don't know the particulars of it, but they're good on the phone with technical questions...phone number on site

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
THanks, I like vidpro's design and that looks like what i had in mind. Seems rather inexpensive to build. How hard is it? How do you attach the leds to the lamp? How much heat sinking is required? More better or some vs none? I am thinking of going the 3 watt route as mentioned in the thread. As for power, I rather use a wall wart than wiring up a trnasformer, etc. Maybe make a jack to plug in a battery pack.

What do you guys think? I need a little hand holding here, Ive never fooled with leds and have not soldered in quite a few years. Anyone mind me calling them regarding building this or working with luxeon leds? Just pm me, a good time for me is 2-10pm est. THanks

txmatt

Enlightened
Have you used Ottlight, Verilux, or other daylight balanced bulbs? They put out a very pleasing light that is easy to read by. These are available in both compact fluorescent and I think even some incandescent bulbs. Compact fluorescent is pretty efficient and a small 12 volt SLA battery and inverter will run one for hours. This might be a solution that wouldn't require soldering together LED's and resistors/voltage regulators to drive them.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
on the big one i made, i use Stars first, because playing with emitters is for people who can solder really well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
and the star basically is a heat synk.
then i like to stick stars on metal plates that move heat away.
an aluminum plate, the steel parts of a light, anything that will transfer the heat of the stars synk into the air for heat removal.
then i prefer to use LuxIII, because they can cope with more error, under driven they arent inefficient.
i would swear that there isnt a base Made that you cant convert, unless there is no abaility for heat removal.
if all you have is a plastic base thing, put a aluminum or copper plate in, that can transfer heat into the air.

a halogen lamp is either AC or its AC :) i havent seen one yet that was regulated, or or rectified. with incadescent its just a matter of heating the bulb.
find something , anything with either enough space FOR , or a transfromer in it, or run it off of a battery. the new "switching" power supplies are awesome, lightweight, and well regulated.

so determine a source, you gonna run it off of battery or the wall plug?
find a suitable , or create a suitable Base, got a metal shop?
find a power conversion, either in or out of the lamp.
get some leds, even 5mm for testing. get stuff that seems like it will fit eachother.
then test what you got using a VOLT and AMP meters, and a wire wound resister.
by testing with something that you KNOW at least the power going through the leds, and having a way to TRIM that power down for testing, and bring it up SLOWLY.
in other words
you can wing things IF you put a dampener in, and read the power ammounts, and watch the heat , (well and have one extra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif