Will a TL3 bulb fit in a TL2 body?

LightHearted

Enlightened
Hi all,

Does anyone know if a SL TL3 bulb will fit in a TL2 body? It looks like they are both the same bipin design. I'd like to try this combo with R123s.

Thanks,
Ken

LightHearted

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick responses. Well, that settles it then. I'll have to order me a TL2. I'll post my results with the TL3 bulb and R123s as soon as possible.

Thanks again,
Ken

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
Brightguy.com had closeout TL2's for $30. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip. It looks like all they have is green though. Have to decide how bad I want back. Texas Tactical Supply has the black ones for $38. Hmmm.

Joseph

Enlightened
Good to see the graphs, davide!

It's quite surprising that TL3 bulb with 2 r123s doesnt even come closer to P90 with 2 r123s. Why should that happen? TL3 is obviously much brighter than p90 with three cr123s.

Any idea?

Joseph

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
davidefromitaly said:
here the runtime plot of my scorpion with the tl3 bulb (scroll down until you see the scorpion plot) http://www.sharemation.com/davidefromitaly/runtime%20plot.xls

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow! Thanks for that data. It looks like the 6P/P90 combo is a much better way to go with R123s than the TL2 w/9V bulb. It is, unofrtunately, a much more expensive combo as well. I may have to wait a while to budget for that.

I just noticed that you were using 3.6v R123s in your tests. Mine are 4.2v. Wonder how much difference that would make.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i used 3,6V nominal batts but out of the charger are at 4,2V as usual...

the total output of the 2 lamp is equal (see the review at flashlightreviews.com) but the reflector of the P90 can do a tighter spot

Joseph

Enlightened
BTW, is 2 r123+TL3 bulb combo brighter than unmodified TL2 or Scorpion?

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
yes is much more bright but in total output, the spot is around the same i think. this because the TL3 bulb have a big filament and the scorpion bulb have a very small filament. the TL3 bulb with 2 R123A is a little underdrived so i think have a little less performance compared to 3 x cr123a but only for the first minutes... after 10 minutes i think they are equal (cause the R123A have a real flat discharge curve). thank this i think the lamp life with this configuration can be very high.

other think i must say: when i tested the 2 lights the 6P become hot but still i can touch it with hands... but the scorpion become so hot that is impossible to touch the head, only the body

Joseph

Enlightened
Thank you for your further info! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif