Lumaray FL6 First Look

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
lumaray01.jpg

"I must go back... to the future!"

lumaray04.jpg

New on the market is the Lumaray FL6, a plastic-bodied flashlight that runs on 3 standard "C" cells. The simple twist-on, twist-off activation belies the complex design of the light body, which looks like something Flash Gordon would take with him on night missions. Everyone to whom I've shown this light has remarked on how cool it looks. Another poster said it looked like a Sentinel from Matrix.

lumaray09.jpg

The elaborate piston-like clamps hold the head in place. Twisting the collar unlocks it and allows the user to retract the collar, opening the clamps to remove the head for changing batteries.

lumaray03.jpg

lumaray06.jpg

The LEDs produce a circle of white light with a blue corona. The closer you get to the target, the more the individual LEDs are visible in the light beam. The farther away you get, the broader the circle of illumination becomes.

Here is the light with a 3-D-cell Maglite for comparison. I focused the Maglite so its beamshot was roughly comparable to the Lumaray's.

lumaray11.jpg

lumaray12.jpg

When the light is not on, the LEDs are oddly luminous. When it is on, the underside of the head lights up. This flashlight definitely has style.

lumaray07.jpg

lumaray05.jpg

There is no tailcap switch and no provision for momentary illumination. One thing the body design does for you (apart from make the FL6 visually distinctive) is a no-roll feature; while I was taking photographs, my Maglite kept trying to roll away, but the FL6 stayed right where I wanted it.

lumaray08.jpg

As you can see, this is a relatively large light, not a pocket EDC:

lumaray02.jpg

The company's website is www.lumaray.com.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review. I would prefer if it had a LIII or LV (overdriven?) as it would probably justify the large package.

Will

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to admit, the FL6 indeed, does have style. The only real criticism I have for it is the lack of sidespill (though the upcoming FL12 should address this issue).

As for the size, the output might not be huge for the size of body, but it should sure run for a long time. There's always a market for lights that run a long time, just as there's a market where output is everything.

I haven't yet had time to run the FL6 through a review (had a Heliotek HTE-1 waiting), but it's next on the list. Think it'll do quite well.

Nice to see a design which is different, and has obviously had a lot of thought put into it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp, looks like a fine light that certainly has its place. I will buy the FL12 once it becomes available with those new efficient LEDs ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanx for the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bernhard

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
As has been said before, that is a very large and expensive light for its output and throw. It looks to be about the length of a Mag 2D but has less throw than a minimag (!) and less overall output than many smaller, cheaper lights.

If this thing had six underdriven Luxons, I would be interested. As it is, however, the FL-6 makes for a much better conversation piece than a functional flashlight.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
enLIGHTenment said:
As has been said before, that is a very large and expensive light for its output and throw. It looks to be about the length of a Mag 2D but has less throw than a minimag (!)......

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have a defective mini-mag.

978022.jpg

Please pardon the poor quality photo - as I never quite figured out the night time setting.
To the naked eye, the FL6 lights up half of the building, and the minimag is a small spot off to the side.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Looks pretty darn good to me. Only thing I can think of as a mild consideration would be all the cavities to catch dirt and dust and also the number of moving parts = breakable parts usually.

Not much can go wrong with a simple threaded body & head design.