Surefire L2 is in!

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I purchased my L2 digital lumamax.

The L2 is VERY long for a standard 2-cell Surefire light! Upon opening the box it was a slap across the face. I never thought it was this long!

I connected the lanyard (which comes free with it) and tried out the settings. The low setting is nice, perfect for camping in pitch black. Then I turned it on high. WOW.. THAT IS WHAT I CALL FLOOD!

This light truely shows the potential of Luxeons and the excellent quality of Surefire. My beam tint is as white as white can be and I think I won the Luxeon lottery!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This light is now my favorite light, but NOT my EDC. It is significantly tooo long for that!

Rating(out of 5)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-tom

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations, Tom!

Don't discount the length right away. The L2 has a mysteriously handy balance about it, and sometimes the length can keep it in a pants pocket better than a shorter light. You might find that you like the length better after a while.

The L2 is a great outside light. Glad to hear you finally got it.

Scott

Size15's

Flashaholic
I agree with Scott - give the L2 a try as EDC.
When I first handled a L2 I discounted it completely.
Since I got one to try out it's been my EDC ever since.
The L2's length gives it EDC and usage advantages in my experience.

Al

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like beezaur said, the balance and feel of this light give it an edge over the feel of smaller lights. Really, it is only the size of a minim*g. The low mode is one of the best lights I have found for navigation, very handy for camping. I hope you get a lot of good use out of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if Surefire could make an L2 with a tighter beam. I really don't understand why they would make any of their lights floods, given the "tactical" nature of their products. I mean isn't that what the beamshaper is for?

I sure hope the U2 doesn't have that kind of beam, I'm thinking about getting one.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
beezaur said:
The L2 has a mysteriously handy balance about it, and sometimes the length can keep it in a pants pocket better than a shorter light.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto, my shorter lights always turn sideways in my pants. they end up looking like, "Is that a banana in your pocket or you just happing to see me!"

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I wonder if Surefire could make an L2 with a tighter beam. I really don't understand why they would make any of their lights floods . . ."

One of the things I specifically got my L2 for was fire department use. The last time I used it was helping take a patient down some slippery wooden stairs to an unlit back yard at 0-dark-thirty. It was really nice to hit that button and BAM! Bright flood for all to see by.

I have never done the "tactical" thing, but I would imagine that the majority of the hours put in on a scene are not "tactical" hours. I would guess that there are lots of times when you want to light up a broad area to do some task.

At least, that is how it has been in my volunteer fire service: very little searching smoky buildings, i.e., "action" stuff, compared to general lighting tasks where a flood is nice.

Scott

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a KL-1 for killer throw. both do great for there application (L2 flood, KL-1 throw) there's not much in the KL-1's size range that that will out throw it, and nothing I
have seen for the price/size of KL-1 on a VG 1x123 body.
And an L2 is a real room filler! I got to try both in a blacked out shooting range and both just kill for there respective application's. VDG

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
I wonder if Surefire could make an L2 with a tighter beam. I really don't understand why they would make any of their lights floods, given the "tactical" nature of their products. I mean isn't that what the beamshaper is for?

I sure hope the U2 doesn't have that kind of beam, I'm thinking about getting one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't own an L2 but if the similarity between the L2 and L4's reflector is anything to go by, the U2's beam is DEFINITELY a heck of a lot tighter than the soft flood of the L4. It's not quite the pinpoint throw of the SO27XA reflectors or McGizmo's awesome 27mm Aleph 1/PR-T, but it is a lot tighter and carries further. Having fired the cone of light down a completely unlit street, I can say it's effective to 50+ yards and you can almost see the cone itself as it cuts through the night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And I can tell you I was DARN glad to have that shield of light, because I THOUGHT that street was deserted, only to pick up someone trying to take a short cut!! The guy had some tiny little light (I could make out a pinprick of light after I extinguished the U2). I can say that really made me jump. On the plus side, the ability to extinguish the light *FAST* helped, in addition to the fact that I was quite confident he would not be able to see much past the shield of light. In quality dark it can really act like a solid wall.

I took a different route that night. Kinda wish I had my Roar of the Pelican or USL to be able to better identify it at longer range. Sometimes, when the unexpected knocks, you DO need all the light you can get.

Luna

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I don't own an L2 but if the similarity between the L2 and L4's reflector is anything to go by, the U2's beam is DEFINITELY a heck of a lot tighter than the soft flood of the L4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin, you are right in both the assertion and the comparison of the l2 and l4 .

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2, I think is better than the L4. It really isnt THAT big and fits nicely in my pants. (to be more exact: shorts) It really is worth the extra 5 dollars...
-tom

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Tom,

I was just curious, did you get the new rounded style of the L2 or the more flat edged version?

Thanks,
John