New FlashLighter!

NightLite

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
I am a new member of the forum, always been a fan of Maglite until someone told me about this forum, shocked to find out that there are something out there that is brighter and last longer than Maglite! Please give me some advice over what to get to open my eyes in the world of flash lights?
I am in between INOVA T3 and SUREFIRE..... I need something that is bright enough for at least 150 feet and battery last more than at least 90 minutes?

Regards - Miki

Dynacolt

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Miki, boy are you in for some wallet-draining experiences here! I too started out thinking the maglite was tops, but since then I have bought several smaller and brighter 'toys' after reading many posts in this forum.

The ultimate commercial production light, in my opinion, is the Surefire M6: it's smaller than a 2D-cell maglite and many, many times brighter. In fact, most of the lights here, no matter how small, are brighter than a standard maglite.

I like the modifications that people make to their maglites though, to make them brighter and run longer. they really surprise people when you turn on that 'normal looking' maglite and it shines like a car headlight.

Many of the medium sized LED lights are also brighter than your standard maglite, and my suggestion would be to modify whatever maglites you already have. The 2AA can be modified to run a LED for around 90 minutes and it will be brighter than a 2D-cell torch, or you can trick-up your some of the bigger maglights with LED's, high power globes or even a HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulb.

I could go on and on, but I will let others make suggestions and post links to threads you might be interested in. Good luck and enjoy the whole other world of 'real' flashlights and lights you would never see in stores.

Dave.

NightLite

Newly Enlightened
Cheers Guys, there is so much to learn!!! Surefire is not available in UK, difficult to know what to get if one can try it out first, at least at the shop....
Maglite modification, do they do one for C cell? How bright is it after the modification? How long is the battery power?
I really appreciate you guys' advice, there is no way to find anyone who knows anything other than Maglite or Cyber lite here!
Please advise again?

Cheers!

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Welcom to CPF Miki, get ya credit card ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. It is possible to get surefire lights in the UK, but you don't wanna pay UK prices right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif. JCCIV on this forum can get you any surefire you want he is "surefireparts" on ebay, hes an excellent seller and great to deal with, and better still his prices are nice !!.

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Theres no need to worry about surefire availability in the UK there are a number of suppliers or you could use sellers such as surefireparts (ebay shop) don't jump into any buys without doing some research or you will end up spending more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif,
Mark

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF pipesmoker! I strongly recommend you spend some time at The LED Museum, and at Flashlightreviews.com, and torchreviews.com The people running those are highly esteemed members of CPF and the information on their site is well... just what you need to fuel your newly realized addiction... I mean hobby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NightLite

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again everyone, I realised flashaholic is an expensive business......but need to see where I am going! Sounds like JCCIV is a nice guy,can you tell me how can I get in touch with him? Suddenly my Maglites are not so bright anymore.....

NightLite

Newly Enlightened
Is there anywhere I can buy modified Maglite? Just sent a pm to JCCIV, looking forward to his reply.
Gee, if only I knew about this forum earlier!

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pipesmoker, look HERE if you like Maglites. There are plenty of things you can do to them as you can see. Check out Elektrolumens if you wish to get some like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NightLite

Newly Enlightened
NikolaTesla,

WOW! I didnt know Maglite can reach that leverl! here is so many terms I don't understand too. Can you tell me where can I get Maglite like that? Cheers

scudinc

Enlightened
3rd_shift, modamag, fivemega, b2eze and a few others make and sell Mag mod parts and modded Mags. The insanely powerful USL that is shown there was made by js and bwaites, and is bright enough to start fires. That Mag85 is one of the easiest (and cheapest) mods there, and produces about 20 times as much light as the stock 3D. Look up some of Ginseng's posts to see how that is made.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a picture of a 3 watt Luxeon led maglite on the left.
Stock 3 cell maglite center.
32 led dropin adaptor on the right.
DSC00166.jpg

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently modded a Mag 3-D to the WA1185. It is insanely bright. Look in the B/ST forum. A 1185 kit is being sold there. Putting together all the parts needed to do a mod can be time consuming.
9AA to 3D adaptor
Bi-pin lightbulb holder
Metal reflector
Glass lens

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like a little "ring around the tub" there! lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif