Spooky music to play on Halloween

What is your favorite Lionheart?

• Total voters

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember being in UC Berkeley on Halloween 1992, and the Campanile played it's usual 4:30 concert. I had never heard such spooky music. I walked around campus listening to the bells and got really creeped out. Unfortunately I never learned what the composition was.

So, anyway, please post your favorite Halloween music. (Not Iron Maiden/King Diamond/Slayer...that stuff's for wars) Music that will scare kids AND parents when they come trick-or-treating.

EEEk!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting started early, eh??

I favor the London Symphony Orchestra's reditions of Pink Floyd, myself. It's a little haunting, especially when the older folks come along and try and figure out where they know the music from. .

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ashley Simpson? No, you don't want to send them into therapy.

For fans of the Exorcist, you could use Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

As usual I'm having an attack of OldTimers' Disease and cannot remember the title of the J.S. Bach organ piece that is classically scary (Ha!)... Tocatta & Fugue sounds right, but I just can't be sure. Someone here will know what I mean, though.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins is always good -- I Put A Spell on You or There's Something Wrong with You. Both funny, weird, and therefore scary to most folks.

There are CD's of Halloween music and sound effects for sale, btw.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I would have suggested Slayer, but I see that has already been discounted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Tubular Bells is kind of a creepy, scary song; it would be very good to play on Halloween, especially if you hide the speakers so nobody knows where the music is coming from.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chmsam said:
Ashley Simpson? No, you don't want to send them into therapy.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

For me the spookiest stuff isn't music; it's lighting the area with blacklight, placing a speaker inside a jack' o' lantern, connected to an amp that's being fed by a reverb unit, and then making spooky noises that correspond to their actions and reactions.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened
Try Eight songs for a mad king, done in 1969. The songs relate to the mind of the king as he went insane.

jtice

Flashaholic
Rob Zombie man !!!!

Play some White Zombie, or any of Robs new albums.
He LIVES for Holloween and old scary movies!!

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually set up a fog machine, a strobe or two, and hide till some kids come by. Then I jump out and scare the crap out of 'em. It's surprisingly entertaining /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The music from "Halloween" is quite chilling. Other than that, I'd say Tubular Bells is the 'creepiest'.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
about.c0m has some tips for classical music for halloween:
"Want to get away from usual ghosts, chains, creaking doors, thunder, and screams without losing the spirit of Halloween? Here are a few classical works that are sure to keep Halloween alive without giving you a headache.

Bach - Toccata and Fugue in d minor, BWV 565
Grieg - In the Hall of the Mountain King
Brahms - Piano Quintet in g minor, Op. 25
Bartok - Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta (mvmt. 3, adagio)
Mozart - Requiem "Dies Irae"
Orff - Carmina Burana, O Fortuna
Ives - Robert Browning Overture
Brahms - Hungarian Dance No. 5 in g minor"

OSU has some suggestions too.
Now I need to DL some of these and burn a disc.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
"Halloween Hootinanny" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

B00000DD28.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

--edited to add--

How in the HECK can "South of Heaven" be disqualified?!?!?!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif "I Live South of Heaven" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

newo

Newly Enlightened
Halloween, and the various antecedents leading up to Halloween, are ancient. So you need relatively old, yet spooky, music.

A relatively old, and the all time spookiest piece every written, or recorded, is . . . (drum roll, please) . . . "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor", by J.S. Bach, done on a pipe organ. Okay, laugh if you want, but check it out all the same.

For an easier to find, and far less spooky, but adequate instrumental, piece, "Tubular Bells" (theme from "The Exorcist").

Somewhat spooky lyrics - "Sympathy for the Devil" long version - Rolling Stones.

After that, well, check out "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor", and accept that it really never got any spookier than that.

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn said:
The Monster Mash by Bobby "Boris" Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers is an all-time Halloween classic.
YES! The Monster Mash is excellent. I'm not showing my age am I? :sssh:

newo

Newly Enlightened
Nitroz said:
YES! The Monster Mash is excellent. I'm not showing my age am I? :sssh:
Heck, no. A great tune. Not spooky, but it sure is a lot of fun. Hmm. I wonder if Apple or somebody has a downloadable MP3 of it . . . .

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toccata and Fugue in d minor- Now that's a classic; you probably hear that in a lot of haunted house movies

Monster Mash; Ok, we play that all the time at the halloween dance at my highschool. Probably great if you are also hosting a halloween party.

X-Files theme seems a little scary as well.

Maybe some large, 1000 watt powered subs and a recording of thunder and other strange noises. Well, those are sound effects but then put on Toccata and Fugue next.