what is a good toilet?at homedepot or lowes

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok im about to get a new one i dont care what it looks like long as it aint pink lol.but i dont want one that clogs i want cheap under 150 at the very very most.im sick a useing water from tub to flush lol and this toilet is way to old

MikeF

Enlightened
Re: toilet that keeps on running

Raggie, it is possibly the flap valve leaking between the tank and the toilet. This is the valve that is at the bottom of the tank that opens when you pull the handle. If it is leaking, it will slowly allow the tank to drain, and then the tank re-fill valve will open when the float's level drops in the tank. You can get repair kits to just replace the tank flush valve, or the complete flush valve assembly. I have replaced the complete flush valves in all of my toilets with Flushmaster valves from Home Depot. Raggie, I would come and repair your's as well if we weren't so far apart. Here is a LINK link to one site that takes you through step by step.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Replace the "flapper valve". That's the round thing in the inside bottom of the tank thats lifted by the flush handle and lever. Couple of bucks.

Banging pipe. You probably have air trapped in the supply pipe. Air compresses - water does not. If you'll look around, you'll probably find a run of pipe with a high spot in it. That's where the air is trapped. First thing to try is to cut off water where it comes into house (*or at the meter) and open all faucets and drain the entire system. If you're lucky, you'll relieve the air trap. If not, and you can't find and fix the high spot, a plumber is in your future.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

but this is a brand new toliet.i went to home depot and replaced it because old toliet did same thing.dang thing is driveing me batty lol

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened

Toilet keeps running? Well, you had better got catch it. LOL

raggie33

*the raggedier*

lol i knew someone would say that btw.i also checked to make sure nothing was between flaper and seat. and a course made sure the pull thing had plenty a slack,reason i bought new toilet is it was just like 4 bucks more that way

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

just cause it's new doesn't mean it's not flawed. Check the flapper valve and make sure it's correctly attached and that it's sitting square on it's seat (also check the seat and make sure it's not cracked or something). Ha. I mean valve seat, not toilet seat.

There's two separate assemblies - the flush valve (that's the round ball-lide thing that releases the water to make the commode flush) and the fill valve. That's where the float (of some type) is that allows fresh water to come into the tank and then shuts it off when the water reaches a pre-set level. Unlikely that the fill valve is the problem, sounds like it's operating properly.

BTW check the bolts that connect the tank to the stool. If they're not snug, the tank could leak around the connecting rubber grommet. But don't tighten them too tight or you'll crack the tank. I know -- catch 22.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast

...toliet keeps running i replaced it a while back the whole toilet cause it was always running well i mean like every 5 minutes it will run for a second i am sure i have the float valve adjusted coreeeectly

You are losing water out of the tank somehow. After enough leaks out the float drops and fills it back up. Then it leaks out slowly, the float drops, lather, rinse, repeat, ad infinitum. Sit there with a light and find where the water is going. You can put a few drops of milk in the water to help you see currents.

also i here what apears to be a water pipe banging in celing. and when i turn on water at fawcett it come out like at crazy presure for a few seconds then drops back down to normal,any idea,s i hate to waste water

Sounds like you have water hammer. Is there a pressure tank on the system somewhere? Do you know how to drain it?

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened

Hey Raggie-I see that you got internet service right away,what service are you using?

raggie33

*the raggedier*

ty everyone i try that advice .im useing free net zero it is awefull its juno i mean but im sure there the same thing 10 hours per month for free and banners adds in on page,lol i use interent like 2 much

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a trick I learned- Put blue food coloring into the water tank then come back later and see if any has seeped into the bowl.

If so, your flapper is leaking

This may depend on your float valve but some can't take high pressure very good. I know this because we had our pressure regulator where the water meter comes in from the street get messed up and it was letting through higher than normal pressure. The float valve on one of our toilets would hold it to a certain point then let go and put some water into the tank causing the toilet to run every once in a while. We couldn't figure it out until someone found a crack in our water service line which let dirt in that fouled the regulator. This was also causing a banging sound every time we turned the faucet on slowly as the pressure kept making a water hammer in the valves.

After fixing the crack and changing the regulator, everything worked normal again but it wasn't cheap though.

You may also want to check your right angle stops under the sink. If they are opened slowly, the water flow through them may also cause them to hum or bang. My righ angle stops do this if they are closed almost all the way. Turn it up a little or fully open them to see if it solve the waterhammer

raggie33

*the raggedier*

yep i was thinking that high presure i here it right around the wall where the water comes in house.hell maybe its the thing outside but sounds above me on the wall that contains the water inlet from city

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

By any chance did you get a Kohler Wellworth?
Two tanks that I got from there were a bit off, where the opening was not round, causing water to bypass the flapper through the side of the assembly because the gasket wasn't centered on the hole. It caused a slow drip, and the tank level dropped down and caused the valve to periodically kick on to refill.
You can confirm this by flushing the toilet, and lift up on the flapper, and shine a flashlight (naturally!) down into the opening, and watch it carefully to see if you notice any dripping. If there is, and you know it's not coming from the center, then that's your problem.

The seal comes preassembled with the tank, so you need a spanner to remove the retaining ring, if it turns out to be the problem.
After the second one, I ended up adding another gasket to take up the gap, rather than return it for a third replacement. Made in Mexico, I think- may have had a bad run (or runs) or something.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

Obvious, but make sure your water level is set properly, and not set too high, where it can trickle over into the overflow tube of the flush valve..

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two answers for you Raggie:

1. For the toilet, check the hose that fills the bowl after you flush. Make sure that the end of the hose IS ABOVE THE WATER LEVEL IN THE TANK!!! If it is below the water level in the tank, it can siphon through the valve assembly (which surprised me because I thought that a toilet valve should have a vacuum break (anti-siphon) to prevent water main contamination if pressure is lost).

2. There are two possible reasons for the high pressure water when you first open a faucet. First, if you have galvanized piping, your pipes could be rusted--causing reduced water flow after an initial spurt (you will have a little compressed air trapped in your pipes--a small vertical section near your sinks--to reduce water hammer). You don't want this--it can be very expensive to replace your galvanized pipes.

However, in your case you say that there is normal pressure/water flow--so I believe that you have a pressure regulator installed, probably right where the water main enters your house. The seals fail over time and they can cause the pressure to slowly build in your pipes until your next use.

Either look for a model name/number and get a repair kit--or replace the whole valve assembly. Make sure you keep the receipt handy. I tried both a rebuild kit (did not fix problem) and a new valve (had the same problem a month or two later)--I have just been living with the issue for now.

It should not be a big problem as long as your pressure it not too high. Check your water heater safety relief (temperature/pressure) valve and make sure it is not weeping water or get a water pressure gage and check your mains pressure... Should be somewhere between 20 and 80 pounds (I think ideal is 40-60 lbs of pressure).

Your safety valve is usually set for 125 PSI (and around 212 degrees maximum IIRC).

The banging pipe may either be the result of the high water pressure, a broken or poorly secured pipe hanger, the lack of an anti-hammer device (~6-10" tall vertical tube at the end of the pipe run) or an anti-hammer tube that has lost its air pressure.

The fixes can include:
<ul type="square">[*]Fix the pressure regulator.
[*]Don't open the supply valve all of the way (watch out, some valves may leak water and prevent you from doing this "quick patch")
[*]Turn off the water main to the house and drain the water from the pipes to get air trapped back in the anti-hammer devices.
[*]fix the broken pipe hanger and/or put some padding in place.
[*]Some hardware/plumbing supply stores sell retrofit anti-hammer devices (looks like a 4-5" copper tube with a fitting... You can try and retrofit one or several of these at the ends of the longest cold (and hot--if needed) pipe runs.
[/list]

I think that covers all of the solutions I can think of at the moment Ed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Bill

PS: Just to make sure that nothing else goes wrong if you are doing your own repairs--make sure that the electricty is turned off to your water heater (or, if gas, it is set to low or "Pilot") before you turn off your water to fix the regulator or drain the pipes.

Probably nothing bad will happen--but if you drain too much water (while getting parts) or if the water heater is old, you could pop a heating element or cause a water leak (if main gas burner lights) and end up needing a new water heater too.

Better safe than sorry.

-BB

raggie33

*the raggedier*

cool thank you every one .its kinda scary new house new city adn noises.rofl i have my flashlights siting neear me in case power goes off lol.it souinds like a person is in house but i checked many times o that presure thing is like one room over from where water enters house it goes like this wall from outsde where water meter is then small kitchen pipe goes over kithcen ciling then into small room where furnace is. then i see a preusre thing on the water it has adjustment but i aint touching it o btw the toilet in my room does it to but not as often

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

This was what I found upon removal of the tank flapper assembly- you can see from the compression marks on the gasket that it was not sealing completely, resulting in a slow drip.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have replaced our toilets' guts with Fluidmaster assemblies.
They are a little different than the usual setup. The cost was about $12 or so for the entire assembly.
http://www.fluidmaster.com/usa.html

I find them to be very reliable and simple to set-up and adjust.

Raggie, did you replace the guts of the toilet when you purchased the new one?

Wingerr--that must have been a frustrating mystery!

Bob

raggie33

*the raggedier*

yep new toilet came with the botem part that ya waste goes in lol, snd the tank with all the stuff.was like 38 bucks just made sence to me to replace it all..

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
Wingerr--that must have been a frustrating mystery!
Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure was- definitely not the kind of thing I expected.
Kohler was very helpful and sent me a replacement flush valve assembly, and I figured that would take care of it, but it still didn't. After looking closely at the hole and measuring it, I saw it was slightly oval instead of round, so that gasket just couldn't seat properly. They sent an authorization for me to exchange it at HD, and when I brought it in, naturally it slipped out of my hand getting it out of the car in the parking lot and fractured it- argh!
Luckily I had the letter from Kohler authorizing the exchange , otherwise HD must have figured I was exchanging it simply because I dropped it- they probably thought that anyway, but oh well.
Got the new one back home, put it in, and WTH? the same problem. Much chagrin and lamenting ensued. At that point I gave up and added an extra donut gasket to it to seal it up, and it finally took care of it. Fine ever since-

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts