Are they any Archers here on CPF????

ledlurker

Enlightened
Curious as to what people use. I just upgraded to a Hoyt Gamemaster 45#@28" and adapted a bracket to hold my VIP for hunting hogs. I also plan to get a illuminated sight for the same reason.

BTW - My boy is now interested in Archery. I have been looking at the Genesis Bow. Does anybody here have any experience with them? I like the idea of the 15 to 30 inch variable draw length with out messing with the hardware. I would be able to shoot this bow also.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
My bows are in storage, haven't been out in a looooooooooooong time! I've got an injured arm and really can't do it at the moment, doesn't prevent me from taking my son's out though!

I've got a PSE, a Hoyt, and a couple others. That Genesis sounds GREAT! I've been on a lot of archery hunts. I like that type of "stalking" the best, never mattered if I was successful or not! Bowhunting taught me A LOT about the outdoors and what to "see and appreciate"! If your feet are moving more than your eyes, then you aren't doing it right!

The sights & sounds one hears while stepping through the outdoors in "that mode" are priceless!

One doesn't even have to be a hunter. Just to "compete" with one's self aiming at a target seems to be a "calming" activity for me. It's a GREAT sport!

Thanks for posting this "motivator"! Seems I always have plans or good intentions, but for some reason never get around to "gettin' in gear"!

ledlurker

Enlightened
I have been out of the competition circle for 15 years. I brought out my Ben Pearson a couple of weeks ago, got a new string for it, took it out and shot 4 arrows then the lower limb split. I decided to get a new bow so I could have some personal time while the kids did their afternoon naps. I looked at some compound bow but found out in order to get one that would allow finger shooting would have to be ordered and would cost on the $700 to $800 range for the bare bow with no other equipment. I had sticker shock so decided to stay with recurves. The Hoyt was still expensive but well worth it. The carbon arrows are pricey to but now they last much longer and are stronger than the aluminum ones. The shop where I test fired let me shoot into a cinder block to prove that certain premium arrows would not break or splinter. Well worth the $8 a piece for them

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got into archery in college in the early 1970's. I shot competitively for about 15 years then went to other hobbies and sports. I shot NAA and PAA indoors, FITA's outdoors, and then NFAA outdoors, otherwise known as field archery. I really enjoyed it but it took a lot of time for practice.

I used a Hoyt Takedown II in my college competition and still have it. I used various compounds in field archery- PSE, Jennings and Wing.

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened
Come October, rare are the days that I won't be out being humliated by the local whitetail deer population. My choice in hunting rig has remained the same for at least 15 years now (I forget exactly how long) is my trusty Robertson recurve.

Even when it's not hunting season, I'm often shooting a few dozen arrows a week in the basement, or at a local 3-D, just to keep the muscle memory still remembering the things that it should.

Never got into shooting at paper competitively. First off, those guys are waaay too good for me to even have a chance and secondly, archery is my reason to escape to the woods. That's my turn-off, tune-out, decompress time. Little else in my life is as enjoyable at a singular, solo, level as bowhunting is.

Ordin

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I enjoy shooting those bullseyes, though a kill zone on a moose is about the size of a garbage can lid! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ledlurker

Enlightened
top rules for hunting
1. shot placement
2. shot placement
3. shot placement
4. accuracy

Competition target
1. accuracy
2. accuracy
3. accuracy
4. shot placement

any guy that can reliably hit a area the size of a small navel orange at 60 yards is somebody that I would not want stalking me.

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened
Until deer start sporting tattoos that look like 10 rings, I'm going to continue to subscribe to your "shot placement" school. Putting one cleanly behind the shoulder is my number one priority.

As was once told to me by an old-timer, target archery is about seeing how far away you can get from your target and still hit it, and bowhunting is about seeing how close you can get to your target before shooting.

Last year my target was 3 yards away... and that wasn't the closest shot I've ever had.

When those big ol' paper targets are out there at 60+ meters I'd be better off throwing rocks at 'em rather than risk losing an arrow!.. and ya'll are upset when your arrows are in the 8 ring.

Ordin

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened
Larson was one twisted up dude... Gotta like that!

He said a great number of hunting related cartoons. His painfully clear insight into the hunting scene (clear enough that he could poke some great fun at it) leads me to believe that he also has been humiliated by a great many deer.

Humility like that can't be taught from books. It's only learned through many years of failure afield. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ordin

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I liked the one where the nuclear mushroom cloud is in the background and the two fishermen are in the boat...

"I'll tell you what this means, Norm -- no size restrictions and screw the limit".

ledlurker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
I liked the one where the nuclear mushroom cloud is in the background and the two fishermen are in the boat...

"I'll tell you what this means, Norm -- no size restrictions and screw the limit".

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that old faded cartoon from the Sunday paper in the mid 80's hanging in my garage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ledlurker

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif gonna be 4 to 6 more weeks before it comes in. If this is another example of just in time manufacturing then it better be worth it. A lot of people that I have talked to says this is common with Hoyt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

A college friend that lives in Europe said that Hoyt is so popular over there compounded with the weakened dollar that it seems Hoyt is now out selling some of the domestic manufactures.

I probably could have found one in Houston but I want to keep my local small town stores in business. Oh well, back to watching the out door living network for some temporary fixes.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:

[/ QUOTE ]
i liked the one with the aliens in a spaceship holding hands full of money looking at earth blasted out on both sides like a well eaten apple.
its a draw.
btw on subject i have my dads old martin cougar 2 and an old bear whitetail.
and about a hundred pounds of easton aluminum.