Faulty LS board questions

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
I am trouble shooting an LS board for a friend. At present I think the problem is the inductor. Here is why I think this. Some one please let me know if I'm off base.

For starters somebody modified this board in the past. And did a rough job of it. Bad soldering, glow paint all over the place, inductor has a piece of the ferrite broken off... the list goes on. I removed the lux that was on the board. Such as it was. Connected a star to the contacts of the board. Powered up the board. Vin = 2.96, Vout to lux = 3.01, freq across inductor = .8mhz, vf of star is a K bin

So from this I surmised that the circuit is basically working just not very effiently. Likely because of the piece that is missing from the inductor ferrite.

My next step would be to change the inductor. But I no have. Also I don't know the value of the inductor. Where to obtain only one. Also, while we're here changing the inductor is there a different inductor that might be better? The intention is to run this board boosted up into the 660ma range.

If anybody can shed some light on this topic I would greatly appecciate it.

cheers,
zwf

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I recall late model LS inductors are 3.3uH Coilcraft. But I don't know enough about the circuit to say if you are on the right track or not.