I was buying beer

matt_j

Enlightened
in the store this morning (7am) after I got off from work. So this lady at the coutner looks at me and tells me that I have no respect for my body and youth this days is horrible. I tell her that I just got off from work, and people go out drinking after work so I'm goign to take my dog, few movies sit back and enjoy few beers before I go back to sleep around 4 pm. Now not only I'm considered to be a drunkyard but also I have no respect for elders. Damn it it's so hard trying to be a good boy.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should have said it was for your wife haha!! But really, buying alcahol early in the morning looks bad to people who work during the day. But you have to buy it sometime, right? Did you have your uniform on? Maybe she thought you had just started your shift. The San Francisco fire dept has been going through hell over drinking. It is a real issue.

Greta

Flashaholic
Matt... back when I was pregnant for my son, I was buying a pack of cigarettes and a tin of Copenhagen (among other things) in a supermarket. Neither were for me. But the cashier felt it was her duty to pick up the pack of cigarettes and tell me that I was killing my baby by smoking while I was pregnant. I calmly looked at her and picked up the tin of Copehagen and said to her, "Oh those are mine! This is!"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nethiker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
matt_j said:
Damn it it's so hard trying to be a good boy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so hard as it is for others to mind thier own business.

Greg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Remember when tolerance of others was promoted? In situations like that I'm tempted to report the cashier to the management or the store owner.

I do not repond to rude people, except to sometimes smile sweetly and say "I'm sorry I can't respond. I was taught it was rude to comment on bad habits of others."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

Ctechlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
I do not repond to rude people, except to sometimes smile sweetly and say "I'm sorry I can't respond. I was taught it was rude to comment on bad habits of others."

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta find a pen and write this one down! It's amazing the little gems you can find here.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you could quote Winston Churchill. He was at a reception when one of the other guests came up to him and blurted out that he was drunk. He turned to her and said that she was correct, that he was indeed drunk, but that she, in turn, was ugly. He continued to say that while in the morning he would be sober, she would still be ugly. Therefore, his condition was far more preferable.

There are times to be polite, and, unfortunately, times when courteous behavior is a wasted option. The trick is to know which is which, and when the other is not only appropriate and justified, but indeed perhaps necessary. The good news is that this is rarely the case.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use to get off my shift at 8am. We would all go to the local bar and meet up with the garbage men and drink. They had been on their shift for several hours. After numerous cocktails we would leave anywhere from 10am to 1pm. We would be feeling no pain and have a 12 hour beard growth. The look we got from passerby's was just incredible. It was like we were the homeless, shiftless, non-working scum of the earth. Just ignore the masses. The contribution and sacrifices you make day in and day out do not go unnoticed by the enlightened. Trust me. I know. I'm you.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Ctechlite said:
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta find a pen and write this one down! It's amazing the little gems you can find here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you like that one. Alas, I did not create that response. I forget where I first heard it. Probably my grandmother or Ann Landers.

Daniel

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF is like chicken soup for the tired, completely-unappreciated-at-work soul. Only better. A heck of a lot better. (not better for the wallet but that is a separate issue).

I just finished settling the first half of an extremely nasty political mess at work, sordid details of which will not be explained here, and s$#t like this takes its toll on you. But this thread is wonderful - it is the solution to how a professional should deal with others who have *NO* sense of professionalism in their jobs at all - including others who should, honestly, know better.

The whole mess stemmed from the fact that certain 'professionals' and 'executives' started out by displaying completely childish behavior over a simple little issue that never ever needed to have become an issue in the first place if they would only act their age. (and I'm one of the youngest people involved, too)

You guys are great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif I feel so much better just reading all your responses.