Where to get a blade sharpened?

paulr

Flashaholic
I have a heavy duty paper cutter, not an office type but more like the type you see in a print shop, that compresses a stack of paper and then cuts through a couple of inches of it in one operation. The blade needs sharpening, which I think normally means removing the blade (about 15" long, heavy piece of metal, might weigh 5 lb) and screwing it to a piece of wood so it won't cut anyone's fingers. Then all I've heard is "bring it to a machine shop" for sharpening. Does that make any sense? Any idea how to locate a suitable machine shop that does that kind of thing? Yellow pages, or what? Thanks.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used one of those things. It never needed sharpening though.

You might ask your auto mechanic. He ought to know some machine shops because he sends engine heads out to be milled flat.

MoonRise

Enlightened
Maybe a general machine shop.

But I think you should look for a sharpening service instead.

You can look for that, or try contacting a newspaper or other print/paper related company and asking them who to contact for getting a big paper-cutting blade sharpened. Or a woodworking store or lumber mill (they need their big planer blades resharpened as well).

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is a cutlery story in your area (specializing in knives, scissors, etc.), I bet they could easily handle it and would be more acquainted with sharpening than would a machinist. Its just half of a big scissors (I guess that makes it a scissor?).

best regards

LightChucker

Enlightened
That brings back memories: I used to own a sharpening business. You might consider getting yourself a good belt sander and polishing wheel if you think you will need this done frequently. Otherwise, look it up under "Sharpening".

Chuck

paulr

Flashaholic
The cutter manufacturer is useless, they just want to sell me a new cutter for $1000+. I got this one on ebay for about $300 and they hate that. Print shops didn't have much advice either.

I'll try the yellow pages under sharpening. Somehow I didn't think of that. I just worry if it will get sharpened by someone who doesn't know what they're doing and ruined. A new blade is around $250.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try calling other print shops or binderies and see who sharpens their guillotines, try the yellow pages under cutlery, or contact a lawn/farm equipment shop and see if they can do it for you. Heck, even large libraries probably have equipment like that, so you might want to ask who sharpens theirs.

You might even try it yourself. Lansky makes a hone for sharpening axes and mower blades that ought to do the trick. I think it's called "The Puck," but at any rate it does kinda look like a hockey puck. Should be available via their website and IIRC I have seen them at Gander Mountain.

Thertel

Newly Enlightened
I manage a Copy and Print Center, let me know where you live and I'll get you a phone number. Sharpening tends to run about 25 bucks and you can ussually get a blade sharpened about 15 times before needing to replace it completely. For your own safety most of the companies will come out and remove the blade from the cutter for you. I was once talking to a rep about why they have two sets of tools for removing the blades and he told me because they used to have only one set and had to remove the blade put it down, uncrew tools, screw tools into new blade and then install it. Well one guy got lazy and barely screwed it into the new blade and while carrying it to the machine it fell down and he lost the front of his left foot. Some of those blades are 25 pounds.

Also saw a guy get his hand stuck in a paper folder, broke his fingers before it got turned off.

paulr

Flashaholic
Eluminator, yes, my blade looks like that. Thertel, thanks, PM sent with my location. The cutter is a Triumph 3900 or something like that, 14 inch, not a 25 lb blade but maybe a few pounds. I'm not sure of the exact model number but I have the manual around here somewhere.