what does it cost to run a fast pc 24/7?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i know i have a 350 watt psu.but a course the pc dont pull 350 watts 24/7 i have a amd 64 3000 mhz and 3 hardrives. 512 megs a ram. im trying to figure out how much it cost to run 24/7 trying to keep electric down lol.
also what does a 27 inch tv cost to run 24/7 any elctricty cost on diff stuff would be cool to hear

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have no idea what i pay yet im with ga power.id guess.0057 cents or around that

MoonRise

Enlightened
The only way to tell is to measure the current draw or the power used. Ther is a gadget to do that called a Kill-A-Watt meter. Search the forums for that phrase. Or search the web. Or go to C.Crane Kill-a-Watt Meter or AHERN Kill-A-Watt Meter .

And unless your electric company is really subsidized a lot, I doubt that you're paying only 0.0057 cents per kilowatt-hour. My electric cost is in the low teens cents per kilowatt-hour (maybe 14 cents per kilowatt-hour or so). Remember to include the 'delivery' charge and service charges in the cost, not just the "Price-to-compare" from the bill.

Using 350 watts for 24/7 at a cost of 15 cents per kilowatt-hour costs $1.26 per day. If your PC has a sleep-mode, the power used and the cost will go down (unless you are actually using the PC 24/7 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie,
You can see if your Power Co. has a website, if they do look for a utility or software that can estimate your power costs and consumption.
My Power Co. has a rather nice one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
another thing you can do is turn on some power saving features on your computer, a crt monitor can use a lot of power I have mine set to power off in 4 hours of non use and even a screen saver that blacks the screen takes less power. Some cpus can throttle down when in power saving mode also, hard drives can power off but I don't recommend this at all since this tends to cause the most problems.

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
The 27 inch tv power consumption would be about 80 to 120 watts.Depends on the age and make of the set,the newer models are surprisingly efficient.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lloks like time to say bye to my sony id guess she is 20 years old but i maybe wrong has great picture though its a trintron.my monitor is lcd if that helps. so far i use pc for like 15 minutes or 1 hour then shut it off even thinginh a building one of my old plane jane pc,s with slower durun cpu like a 1500 i think.useing ciling fan in room to save money to i also wrote down my meter kilowatts so i can judge what i use per day.summer will suck when i need to run ac.may of found a roomate though she will only be here 2 weeks per month

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
Don't scrap the Sony!!!The older Sony is a great tv-decent power consumption and the possible small savings in electricity would take forever to balance out the cost of a new set.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o ps if i under clock my cpu a lot will it cost a lot less to run?.this has been a good cpu and can run at a voltage way less then amd recomends and still be stale i thought about reduceing the cpu to like 1000 mhz from its normal of 2000 mhz i dont need all that power i want it to run cheap lol .looking for some like 15 watt florecnt bulbs tomorow

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
Those flourescent replacement bulbs are a real good deal-you will save some real power with them.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i turned off my bulbs there 60 watts useing a 1/4 watt night light gota love that i can run it so long and its cheap.last night ws the first time i slept in years with tv off.i like listening to it i now and useing my county commm shortwave radio on fm,i cant imagine it useing over 1 watt it lsat long time on batts. lol i am evening turing off stove before im done cooking cause its cast iron pan it will have heat still /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
now you only need to hand wash stuff and put it on a clothesline to dry to save more energy.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
rofl lynx i just did that washed dishes by hand but i alwAys do it that way but didnt have dishwasher before.but for cloth washing ill use machine and dry outside on railing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I thought roommates were for washing dishes... I use a clothes dryer and the automatic scale that determines dryness by moisture level instead of the timer.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't it also have something to do with how hard the box is working? Even without sleep, hibernate and coma, I think that some operations like downloading will use less juice than any real crunching. Also, does your OS issue a 'halt' instruction when the cpu's not busy?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Given that the average PC rarely consumes what the power supply is rated at, you can take a fraction of the rating and assume that as peak demand (bootup is generally peak power consumption).

CRTs consume a great deal of power. I switch mine off whenever I'm not at the PC - which drops the last bar off my UPS's loadmeter.

So... 450W PSU, assume 50% worst-case average - 225W * 24 == 5.4 KWh. Assume 8 hrs of 250W CRT ... 2 KWh. Throw in some other peripherals, make it 8KWh per day. Even at $0.15/KWh, that's $1.20. I'm sure the average PC consumes far less power during an average 24-hr day since it's mostly idling (minimal disk I/O, fewer processes running).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't think his monitor will take a lot of juice since it is an LCD, I know when I had a weak UPS on my 19 inch trinitron if I hit solid white pages the UPS beeped and hitting the screen saver turned the beep off.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie,
Don't underclock your CPU, it really won't save any energy.
Replace all your incandescent bulbs with Compact Fluorescent bulbs, they are more expensive up front but save big time in the long run. (If you have a Costco or Sam's close you can get them at a reasonable price...they often come with instant rebates here in CA. making them dirt-cheap)
And keep the Trinitron!!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif