• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Use Your MiniPro in a 2D Flashlight !!

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes you just have to wonder how/why somethings work out so well, and this is one of those...

Ok, I purchased a Gordon 2D aluminum flashlight. It was just asking to be modded, so I figured I better check it out. Here's what I found:

miniprodcell0004.jpg

The stock incandescent bulb is held in place with a beefy aluminum screw in cap.

miniprodcell0007.jpg

Here's a closer look at the screw in 'heatsink' :)

minip4.jpg

Here's the MiniPro Light Engine at idle.

miniprodcell0008.jpg

Guess what, the MiniPro drops right in like the heatsink was made for it!

miniprodcell0010.jpg

And the stock light comes with this very long spring that is the positive contact. It's long enough to reach the positive contact on the MiniPro.

miniprodcell0012.jpg

When screwed together with the MiniPro in place, it looks like a custom machining job.

miniprodcell0017.jpg

And when the head is screwed all the way tight, it is at tightest focus!

And that's not the end of this mod either; this flashlight also accepts the 3CN2D mod for extreme brightness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So now the MiniPro can also be used in a long running flashlight. With 10000 mAh Powerizer NiMh cells run time is about eight hours; not bad.

If anyone is interested in this flashlight, I can try and get some more. The price would be $10.00 + shipping; I'll have to check on the best way to ship before I know that cost.

This is a mod that doesn't even require tools to install the MiniPro for 2D operation.

Lambda

M_R

Enlightened
Kevin,

Thats an incredible fit, and you have to love the natural heat sink that this light has.

On another note, or actually another light, my MiniProIII fits perfectly in my FFII with Fraen Optics making for a killer package! I think that you have to use the Fraen as its a little shorter than the NX05 and allows for the added height of your MiniPro.

Cheers,

Matthew

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny that you posted this. A day or two ago I had almost exactly the same idea, however, I tried it with my Nuwai Q3. I cut three or four washers for the larger part of the MiniPro (to the ID of the Q3) and one for the emitter "pedestal" which, when put together, formed a can to support the MiniPro in the Q3. The MiniPro with solder blob is almost exactly the same height as the stock Q3 emitter/driver combo.

Where do you get the Gordon flashlights? I would be interested in one. That's a great and easy mod! With the 3Cin2D - do you mean with the MiniPro?

I believe Chop did a "one of" can for the Q3 a while back for a shoppe board.

Edit: added a bit.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the Gordon flashlights at the local Harbor Freight store. I don't know if they also list it online or not, but have them on the shelf here; new item.

K

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
I have to have one of those. Maybe even another DIY kit to go with it. Of course won't need a MM reflector with the kit. Count me in. Let me know how much to PP. PM me if you like.

cheers,
zwf

M_R

Enlightened
Kevin,

You really got a strong Ottawa alumni network going on here, I'm surprised that HVAC hasn't chimed in yet... Let us know if you need to set up a field office here in our nations Capital /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZWF - MiniPro Kit without reflector/glass is $17.00.

The new MiniPro Kit page is located HERE

I'll stop and find the cheapest shipping option tomorrow and get a final price for the Gordon light.

M_R - You guys get even less Sunlight than me, so no wonder you like good lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Mini Pro???????? What is this Mini Pro??????? How would one get one??????????????????????????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
UncleFester, much as searching in forums slows CPF up, you will have to go to "search" for MiniPro and lambda, and you will find all you want to know about the MiniPro.

Bill

03lab

Enlightened
I'm interested, but of course I would also need the MiniPro that I'm patiently awaiting .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I checked with Harborfreight.com and they were back ordered on the 2D. Might be in local HarborfreightUSA stores.

Bill

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
UncleFester, much as searching in forums slows CPF up, you will have to go to "search" for MiniPro and lambda, and you will find all you want to know about the MiniPro.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

[Rant mode on] Even MORE searching will reveal I am on the signup list for the MiniPro in the thread "The drop in pill you've all been waiting for"
How long have we waited?>??????????? With no updates or other info?????
I have completely given up on Lambda. I no longer want one of the MiniPros. It's unregulated and I like full regulation.
The reason for my previous post is to point out that there has been no update on "the drop in pill you've all been waiting for" but there are NEW other things showing up.
OK, [/rant mode off]

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
UncleFester, the MiniPro is fully regulated. Sorry for your upset. Sometimes these things take awhile. I have been waiting for my VIP BBH head for 9 months, or there about.

Bill

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
UncleFester, the MiniPro is fully regulated. Sorry for your upset. Sometimes these things take awhile. I have been waiting for my VIP BBH head for 9 months, or there about.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

The MiniPro is by no stretch of the imagination, regulated much at all.

In this graph, in fact the output power varied from 4.78036
Watts to 1.222076 Watts, depending on input voltage. Here is the output current graph, and following that, the Output Watts vs. input voltage:

miniprow.png

miniprox.png

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This does not look like runtime graph that lambda posted early on. His was, I believe, a lux over time graph. I know that NewBie's graph do not reflect lux over time, but lambda's graph would have looked very steep if it was in keeping with NewBie's. Maybe I am wrong. Guess I will have to do a little search and find lambda's runtime graph. NewBie, what kind of regulation would MiniPro have from your point of view?

Bill

*Retired*
My graphs are fine and correct.

Bill, the minipro is running the chip wide open full bore. It is only limited by the input current trip level, and by design, it's output is based upon that. Basically Pin 2, the FB pin of the MAX1797 is basically grounded, in fact pins 1-5 are grounded, so the regulator chip gets no feedback (thats what I meant by wide open). Basically it is (input voltage * internal current limit) * efficiency = Output Watts . The input current limit moves around due to heat also.

Here is an efficiency plot, which from chip to chip that I tested here could be 3% higher and 7% lower:

miniprob.jpg

Latest posts