YES! My L2 came in!

Surefire_Rocks

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I just bought a brand new L2 from the PX for a little under $130 and it rocks! However, there are two main things that I see as drawbacks. First and most obviously, the thing is a monster. It is outrageously long and I would barely consider it an EDC. Also, the low mode for my L2, produces a rather loud, high-pitched buzzing noise, which I can clearly hear even with an outstreched arm. Will these factors inhibit my L2's quality when it comes time to proving itself out in the wilderness? However, I find that my L2 is somewhat brighter than my L4 was, and its low mode is defenitely bright enough for most of my camping needs. I think it will prove to have been worth every cent.

-Ian

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Also, the low mode for my L2, produces a rather loud, high-pitched buzzing noise, which I can clearly hear even with an outstreched arm. Will these factors inhibit my L2's quality when it comes time to proving itself out in the wilderness? . . ."

That would bug the snot out of me, especially in the peace and *quiet* of the wilderness.

My L2 and one of my A2s have the whine, but it is barely audible at a few inches. I think having that "feature" is normal and not harmful. All the same, a plainly audible noise is, in my opinion, fair grounds for an exchange or repair on a light that expensive. I'd call Surefire about it.

A lot of people get used to the L2's length and don't mind it. Of my L1, A2s, and L2, my wife likes the L2 best for its ergonomics. Now she wants me to get her one.

"It's the flashlight. Chicks dig the flashlight."

Scott

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Its no biggie, the L2 noise is harmless. I wouldn't even recommend that he contact Surefire about it. I can hear every L2 I have make this whine well past an arm's length. Two of them I can hear up to 6 feet away if there is zero background noise. I think its more to do with individual hearing sensitity than a L2 being loud. My hearing is very sensitive to whiney high pitched noises. Everyone else I know that has tried my L2s can only hear them at very close range (less than 1 foot). In other words, for almost everyone, the L2 noise is barely noticable except at point blank range. I just happen to have very sensitive hearing and can hear them well beyond the range of most folks.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I think its more to do with individual hearing sensitity than a L2 being loud. . . ."

WHAT??? EH? SPEAK UP, SONNY, I CAN'T HEAR YA!

Scott

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just turn your stereo up when you use your L2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vhyper007

Enlightened
Hey .357,

you said:

I think its more to do with individual hearing sensitity than a L2 being loud. My hearing is very sensitive to whiney high pitched noises.

Just curious but are you married?

Regards,
vhyper

Surefire_Rocks

Newly Enlightened
It is pretty awesome too. the LED is actually centered, the body looks awesome, and i got real lucky with the luxeon lottery. The light is extremely white.
-Ian

Patrick

Newly Enlightened
Don worry about it. It's not only 2 stage, it's a 3 in 1 stuff.
It's a new feature SF has it built in.

IT"S what I called an 'EMR' device built into the light.

ELECTRONIC MOSQUITO REPELLENT! Heeeeeeeeee............

PhantomZ

Enlightened
the high pitch buz is normal. i think its the sound of the light being regulated. on most L2 (or all) will make that buz. if you unscrew the head and turn it on low and high you'll hear it more. i do agree the L2 is alittle long but i love it regardless. one down part i find is it cant take rechageables. i could have got the L4 with the dual stage swith but i wanted the extra 40 lumens on the L2. plus i didnt know about the switch for the L4 then but i'm 100% happy with the L2 over the L4.

Surefire_Rocks

Newly Enlightened
I have had my L2 for a little while now and I have noticed a few things: it is wider than the average E2e body, its tailcap tends to stick, and the output on high mode seems to fluctuate. Why?
Thanks.

-Ian

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's wider than the 'average E2e' body because the batteries have to exit from the TailCap end of the body. Perhaps you need a new o-ring and some lube? That normally does the trick for me.

I find that towards the end of the batteries the L2 can no longer power the high beam in regulation and it will be brighter than the main beam but not by much. When the batteries are draining there will come a point at which after rest they can power the L2 high beam in regulation for a few seconds or whatever and then the output drops. Furhter on in the battery drain once they can no longer power the high beam in regulation the output will be higher after rest for a few seconds. It's like they try and then find they can't. The batteries' get up and go has got up and gone so to speak.

On the one hand I like that the high beam does not cut out altogether because from a practical perspective it's better I think to have some light rather than no light (even with a low beam option). On the otherhand I do prefer the highest possible output - the A2 incandescent produces light only in regulation and once the batteries can no longer achieve that the incandescent beam significantly and most obviously decreases for a few minutes and then stops altogether.

I'm not entirely sure which one I prefer.

I carry and use the L2 rather than the A2 (which is my next choice as EDC) so perhaps I do prefer the L2.

Al