Wondering where your gasoline dollar is going?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
ExxonMobil announced their 1st Quarter profits for this year.

Up 44% to $3 Million an HOUR!!! You do the math. Just obscene.

If that continues for the rest of the year, it will be the most profitable company in American history.

Do you feel better now?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Most gas stations here are now convenience stores that make even more money off of selling overpriced snacks and cigarrettes. You can usually go buy stuff at the grocery store for about 2/3 to 1/2 the cost or less they charge so I bet some of the profit is coming from that.

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
It's not too hard
to figure out what the station owner's profit per gallon is.Find the gas price listed in the merc. exchange,add all the taxes.Most stations do only make a few cents per gallon.(They are at the bottom of the food chain)

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, an important part of this, is that importing foreign oil makes a lot of money for a lot of people. And yet, importing foreign oil, is harmful to our economic and our national security.

So...if we decided to get off of imported oil, what would happen. Would there be Americans that fought that change because of the shift of wealth it represents?

I'm afraid so.

If we want to get off of imported oil, we will need to be resolute and do it ourselves, in the national interest. Along the way, there will be powerful, moneyed interests that fight that shift every step of the way.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Car manufacturers are still making money building gas guzzlers. Perhaps they need a tax on gas guzzling cars to help fund research into fuel efficient vehicles.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gas guzzling cars? Leave the cars alone, go after the SUV's!! Make it to where you pay the guzzling tax only if you can't prove that you need the vehicle for farm/industrial/actual work and not driving around the city.

Hell, you can get a 5.7l, 350ci, 350-400hp V8 sports car that gets 30mpg on the highway, and 18-19 in town!! That's tons better on the highway, and only a few miles less in town than I get with my 3.1l V6!!! And my highway gear is .78:1!! I have only 2,000rpm at 70-73mph...

Perhaps you meant cars = suv's. I hate how I can't even find used cars for sale. Or even new. EVERY used/new car dealership I go to has only ONE row of cars for sale. The rest are trucks and SUV's. :angry: And 1 row of 10 cars isn't a good enough selection for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't blame the car makers too much either. Even the gas guzzling SUV's or trucks. The dealers and makers wouldn't be be selling them so much, if people weren't buying them. It's our (we as a nation) own stupidity/greed/laziness that is causing the problem. Everybody likes to ***** and whine about some of the problems, but how many are actually willing to do anything about it at all? How many are willing to plan trips so that they can recharge their cars, or find bio-diesal? The obvious benefits have to massively outweigh any inconvencience for people to actually do something.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I agree SUV's suck gas big time and get off without having to pay gas guzzling tax, because of some loophole intended to give farmers a break.

I think they could close that loophole very quickly, real farmers need real trucks not SUV's. I don't think it in the current administrations best financial interest to really try and stop gas guzzling SUV's.

Maybe if gas prices continue to go higher the situation will straighten itself out, like it did back in the 70-80's when the trend toward smaller, more fuel efficient cars really took off.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my local newspaper, in the business section they always pick one stock and put it on the top of the page. Today it was ExxonMobil, and the stock was actually down a few points.