Portable photo storage?

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a good MP3 player that also would allow me to directly connect my digi cam (or even better my SD card) and transfer photos? I don't care if it has a big colour screen or not, I just want some storage for when I'm on holidays and don't have ready access to a PC. It would have to be 20Gb or more to really start to look good, because I would also want to store my music on it and use it as an MP3 player at other times. I currently have about 10Gb of music on my PC in WMA.

Are there any good candidates (preferably not too expensive)? I was kind of hoping that the lttle Sony 20Gb Atrac player would do it.

P.S. I don't really feel like getting an Ipod because I've seen some bad experiences - and all my music is on Windows Media Player which I don't want to have to re-record.

Any help would be appreciated.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Bindibadgi, a mate of mine uses an iRiver H340 for just this purpose. It supports USB on the go, which means that you can hook many cameras directly up to it and transfer the photos over (at USB1.1 speeds) without needing a computer. You can then transfer photos off the iRiver to a computer at USB2.0 speeds. It has a colour screen for viewing pix.

Oh, and it plays WMPs, MP3, OGG, WAV etc as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

You can probably pick up a 40Gb one up at JB Hifi for ~$500AUD. This might be too expensive for you?

iRiver make pretty good gear, I've got an iFP390 flash player which has served me well for 18 months.

Hope this helps.

jtice

Flashaholic
How important is it that is plays mp3s???

You might want to look at what I did..
theres portable laptop enclosures that have OTG (On The Go) USB
You can plug a digicam, or card reader into them and press a button, it will automatically copy the data.

I Bought an Apacer cd211.
You put your own 2.5" drive in it. and it has alittle display letting you see space left, create folders etc.
And you can copy just certain files or folders if you want, instead of the entire card.

Heres a pic of the setup.
Please PM or email me if you have any questions, I spent weeks looking at all this stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-click for larger view-

~John