Hitchhiker's Guide

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hitchhiker\'s Guide

Wow... Didn't know they made a movie.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've read those four books many times over the years, and just recently watched the old BBC TV series on DVD. I also have the BBC radio shows on MP3 that I occasionally listen to once in a long while.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

From watching the trailers on the website, the movie looks to be much flashier than the old BBC productions, but it is a little bit weird listening to Arthur Dent speaking with an american accent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Unfortunately, I don't think this will ever show in Hong Kong, so I'll have to wait for the DVD to be released..

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

They used to have Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as a text game on the Commodore 64 computer (early/mid-1980s); wonder what took them so long to come out with a movie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
My housemate really wants to see this movie; and at risk of sounding too much like Data on Star Trek: TNG, I too find it intriguing, and want to watch it.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Directors have already said that Douglas Adams was invloved in the screenplay/story line before he died, and that this is not a direct copy of the books. The movie is quite different. Reviewers who've read the books and apparently didn't know this, weren't happy. Others liked it.

Let's be real -- how could you create a film that covers all of the things that happen in the four part trilogy (I always liked that) in two hours.

That said, I think it's something I want to see if only for the visual effects and a few laughs.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ive played the text game before. Only got up to the bar, and then earth went poof... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif games too hard, maybe Ill watch the movie.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

If the improbability drive punches out a whale above the moon's surface, the movie should work for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif However, if The Answer is provided, just for the sake of closure, I will be extremely disappointed!

will42

Newly Enlightened

What answer might that be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don's posts are too complicated....

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Answer to life, the universe, and everything, of course... Is 42.

Now, the question to the Ultimate Answer is another story all together.

I do wonder whether or not Marvin will still have the pain in his diodes on the left side.

chrisse242

Enlightened

I just read about the movie today and can't wait to see it. I actually like the "Dirk Gently"-books even better, especially "the long dark teatime of the soul" (By the way I'm glad I didn't read the german translation first.)
I was really amazed to learn that 90% of our brains are used for storing penguins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Chrisse

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened

My favorite quote from the series"No,no,your monkey's got it right". Arthur replies-Who are you calling a monkey?

14C

Enlightened

In 1995 I was at a Cisco convention during which a presentation was given by Douglas Adams at the Civic Center in Los Angeles. Afterwards we all got copies of his book "Mostly Harmless" in which he ends the saga. It was classic Adams but the ending left me slghtly dissapointed for some reason I have not quite figured out...probably just a letdown from the story being "over".

Just for the heck of it...some Adams quotes:

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Douglas_Adams

Amazon.com page on "Mostly Harmless" with reviews:

LINK

bj

Newly Enlightened

Well, just got back from seeing it. I enjoyed it, just don't expect it to be exactly like the book (you've probably read the reviews and heard that already). Go at it with an open mind and enjoy. I'd like to think Douglas would have approved, hopefully it turned out along the lines he had in mind.