I made a penlight better

Weylan

Enlightened
My father is a doctor. And the drug reps used to come by the office and leave samples and leave pen lights at the office for the doctors to have and for the staff to use. Freebies. I got two. One is really nice, that is real wood on the sleeve. The light was a standard pen light that ran off incandecents for about less then an hour. They were not that bright but they were good because they were free. My father used to just thow them out when the batteries were dead, because most were really cheap. They worked for dilating pupils and looking down throats for the time they were good. I saved one of the cheap ones, and I saved one of the good ones he gave me.

A couple of years ago I put a LED light in one of them, and I thought it was cool. It worked. But really was not all that bright.

After visiting here, I did a mod. YEA. Thanks to Milkysplit's teachings, I have a working light that is now useable. Currently the light is a 1x AAA and a Dorcey circuit and LED from a 1x AAA Dorcey.

I had to dremmel off the tabs at the top of the Dorcey circuit so it would fit in the light the same diameter as a AAA cell. I used a spring from a pen. I used a pice of vinyal tubing that was cut to an estimated length and put the spring in the tube. After I got off my BUTT and got all the parts together, it was a really easy MOD, may be 5 minutes total work. The biggest thing was finding and figuring all the parts to make it useable because the light was awful before.

Now the light is as bright or brighter then the orginal pen light. the light is now only using 1x AAA cell. And I bet it has a better run time then it did originally on the rgular bulb.

I am very happy with it. I wish it was still brighter, and I am probably going to hack it again, and solder on one of the 26K LEDs once I get some. But now it is very useable and as bright as the Dorcey 1xAAA which is far cry better then what it was.

Hey, they have advertising, but how can you complain about a free light that now is useable.

Penlight01.JPG

penlight00.JPG