how to speed up dial up?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok after haveing 3 meg dsl i now have net zero dial up. its cheap like 10 per month but man its so slowwwwwwwwwwww
i know i cant spped up downloads.but is there a way to speed up surfing?and free cheap software is netzeros hi speed internet worth it?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm not sure those "download accelerators" really work. They might speed up some things - like HTML - but I expect they don't help a bit for already-compressed data like JPGs, etc.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im not sure i realy never used dail up before otyher then at dads. man it sucks lol.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If you didn't run a dialup accelerator (PC Pitstop, Dr. TCP, etc) when you first went to broadband, you probably don't have to un-do anything to optimize your pc for dialup again.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The download accelerators do work... Primarily by compressing text and doing lossy compression on JPGs and such (you can set the "fuzziness" of the pictures).

However, there has to be a fast proxy server somewhere else. I don't know about NetZero--but I thought I saw some vendors offer $10 a month for dial-up--But charged around $20 for an accelerated dial-up.

Usually it is worth the extra price for the speed--but it is not free and you do have to turn it off at times if you want to see clear pictures.

-Bill

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have been using dial up for a long time. Blocking banners and flash ads helps load times tremendously IMO. As far as downloading goes, get a download program like getright and resume large files later when you are on for awhile. I have downloaded 75 meg files with it before. I have almost no banners with exception of CPF sponsors, even killed the google adwords mostly too.

Most places that have download accelerator proxy servers cost an extra $5 a month. I think netscape may give it to you for free at $10. They speed up loading of everything by compressing even html pages and recompress jpg and gif files making the world seem fuzzier.

Netzero had a high speed version for $14.95 awhile back not sure if it is truly worth the extra $5 though.

DarkLight

Enlightened
What kind of connection speeds are you getting...

I went around my phone lines and cleaned up all connections with emery cloth..connected at 52 to 53K all the time.....

Dialup IS slow no matter how you shake it.....

Painful to use after broadband....

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
which browser you are using raggie33 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif just kidding...

I am on a dialup now.. i was on a 2MBps Leased line before (6 months) ... but the browser has really made a difference.. if you have just shifted... use IE for a few days... then try the FireFox.. (may be you notice some difference)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i tryirf ie6 and mozilla both are slow i aint sure what my speed is but i down load at 5 kb per second.i miss broadband so much

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
download speeds on dialup are maxed out around 4-6k/sec. You have a limit of 53.3k baud on the modem and the distance from the switching office affects this some also. I get about 4-5.5k sec on dialup through 3 different providers, there is nothing much you can do to speed things beyond that if compression is already in use. I have never had broadband so I dont miss it at all.

DarkLight

Enlightened
I got 6-7K on dialup..

that was in 95 though....

currently getting 500k sec....NEVER GOING BACK EITHER

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i tryirf ie6 and mozilla both are slow i aint sure what my speed is but i down load at 5 kb per second.i miss broadband so much

[/ QUOTE ]

5 kbps is GOOD .. ... what else can you expect from a Dialup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What i normally do for dialup is use FlashGet and Schedule the downloads for the night. since in night very less / no people use internet here.. i get speeds up to 6 kbps ... and another advantage is that i save on night traiff's (basically night browsing is free) ...

raggie ... just give yourself 2 - 4 weeks.. i am sure you will be all right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... you will be used to dial-up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

also... if it is very very difficult to adjust.. then .. just go back with the broad band /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .... yup.. it would be expensive... but then you have to make compromise somewhere ...

well.. thats just my suggestion.