my new place revisted

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well im in it now i got phone and elctricty on even have internet, im being carefull i aint useing tv or pc to much to i see how my bills is. i can pay it but i want to be safe lol righht now useing a 1/4 watt that a freind gave me it s anigh light puts out lots a light for less then a watt lol. im looking for roomate with roomate it will be so easyyyyyyyyyy. cause i can get 450 a month im sure i walk down to laske like 4 times day its so pretty, im more happy now. i may have a lot less money but i live in a place that is so much nicer. it aint fancy but its nice for when ya are poor. has lots place to play with lights my lh is ysed as a night light and a course i also use it to shine very very far into woodds behind house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Great news Raggie! Are you completely moved in? How cool that you've got a lake and a wooded area near your house! It must be really pretty. If that little red bird is any indication, you should have lots of interesting visitors.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well i forgot some stuff like my bike sadly. yep lake is i say it take me 5 minutes or less to walk to one part and the part i like is 10 minutes on bike it will be 1 minute and this lake has like 700 miles a shore line ,i was going to go swiming but forgot my shorts to lol

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awsome Raggs! Living in a place where you're happy is one of the most important things in life I think. If you're happy there, that's abaout all that matters. Good luck edster! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
WOW! I think I know where the next CPF gathering should be!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
So everything worked out great,and you were so worried.I'm sure happy for you.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Man oh Man Raggie!

You have some targets for bright lights!

I can't spend anymore money than you, but you have me beat BIG TIME in lake and forest!!!

I almost certainly can never come up there, but I would surely try if a get-together ever comes up!!!

Being happy is what it's all about!

I hear a Bullfrog croaking from our pond...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jesum Crow (holding back), you have full leaved trees where we just have buds. Looks like July around here. You mentioned swimming, can you go swimming this early in the year when the ice has just barely left the lakes around where I am?

[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
can but i have dail up now so i ahve to shink em a lot to uplload em so they aint so clear.
http://img214.echo.cx/my.php?image=boat8iy.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ya need one of those "Kil-o-watt" things that plug into your appliances and you can find out what they are costing you. Then you can decide what to "budget" on. Some things may not take as much electricity as ya think?!

I always thought about getting one of those gadgets myself. I've got two teenage sons that probably don't care! I'm always going around the house turning off lights here and there!

Please PM me your new address!! I gotta know where to send the "party bus"!! LOL!!

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding power use, I always like a goal... For electricity--from what I have read--100 KW Hours per month is a good goal for low power use (and also a goal for going 100% solar). So:

100kWh/(24h*30days)=139 watts of continuous use...

I have (with my wife and two kids) gotten down to something like 170 kWh/month or a little less... But this goes to show you that you really need to look at the little things that are always plugged in and taking power.

Using a 1 kW heater for an hour is only 46 watts based on 24 hour usage. My Mom used to keep a 60 light bulb in a closet 24 hours per day to keep the mold down--would eat almost 1/2 of the "power budget" I was trying to keep.

Of course, if you live in a hot or cold area of the country, your base number you will want to aim at may be different.

But only powering your computer when you need it--or using a low power server for the 24 hr per day operation and the high powered unit only when you need it may make sense for you.

-Bill

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wan't to keep PC power down, then you can build a Mini-ITX system raggs - www.epiacenter.com will help you choose. most EPIA systems have to be built by you, but you can buy pre-built systems aswell. just keep in mind that a 1.2ghz C3 proc in an EPIA is like a 800MHz Celeron.

www.ultim8pc.co.uk and www.mini-itx.com will be useful too.

just my 2 cents,

neg

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bigger powerhogs are usually:

The heating and cooling (HVAC) units. <The biggest hogg.
Weatherstrip every crack around every exterior door and window to keep these from losing you money.
Also clean/replace the filters every month or two.
There are cut to size filters at many home improvement stores that are reusable and garden hose washable.
Keep the outside part of the air conditioner free from weeds and clutter if reachable.
If the aluminum fins are mashed, have an reputable, licensed AC serviceman straighten them out with a fin comb and wash any debri and trash out from the fins.
Cooler running flourescent lights make an air conditioner's job easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The hot water heater is a minor powerhog when set to over 120 degrees.

The clothes dryer is another powerhog.
Think of it as an 1800 watt hairdryer's bigger brother.
This is why it usually needs a 220-240 volt plug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

As one can see, a pc, tv, home stereo and the house lights are usually just very tiny contributors to the electric bill in comparison.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
You can recover a teensy amount of power and maybe increase your systems' reliability a bit by setting your system to spin-down the hard drive after a certain amount of inactivity, maybe 30-60 minutes or so.

If you can afford it, swap out your CRT monitors for LCDs.

Get one of those power factor controllers for your fridge. And convert all of your household lighting from incandescent to CFL.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wonder if my house will stay coooler well i mean the room i sleep in. since its got trees blooking the sun .it sets behind me but there are trees there and behinbd trees is a small road and then the lake,right now im builind my old pc i think it will be cheaper to run it has on board everything.and a durun 1200 or something

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man if ya all knew some of the bad places i lived in. i lived i places that was so scary.i seen so much in my life.this is a is such a great thing i thank my mom who left me the funds to do this.even though i have less money now its so worth it.ad when i get roomate it will be niceri got a add out no drugs or alchol or smokieing

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm happy for you, Raggie. You so deserve this.
I think that your mom is looking down at you and smiling right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts