What is wrong with my Internet (Verizon DSL)?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Verizon DSL which I run on an XP machine and go thru a Netgear "websafe" router. In the past few weeks, I've had tough times connecting to the Internet which makes me think Verizon changed something. I will go to access a site and it will take a long time to come up or it won't come up at all and I will get a page not found error. However I can then do a refresh and the page will pop right up. This happens with both IE and Firefox. Likewise, it can take several tries to access my email thru the pop server. Any ideas? Any other Verizon DSL subscribers have similar problems recently? I hate to waste my time calling Verizon and their inept first level tech support.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Do some spyware scans with Spybot S&D and AdAware. Since you're on an xp machine I also recommend you give Microsoft Antispyware a try. It's a great product regardless of what some people say or think. If these scans turn up nothing then call the tech support for your dsl.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I do run the msspyware and am pretty well protected in general. It almost seems like there is an IP conflict of some sort. I have my router set up to do the Verizon ppoet or whatever it is called, I wonder if something changed on the Verizon end.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like this maybe a problem with DNS. My DSL connection is also a little flaky sometimes when it tries to get DNS/IP from the local DNS servers from my ISP. You can add additional Public DNS Servers to your PC. Here are some publicly accessible DNS Servers and instructions on how to add them to your OS.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Greg,

I semi-took your advice. The page to select my DNS server under the tcp/ip properties (which was listed under network bridge, whatever that is) was set to obtain address automatically. I changed that to the Verizon specified addresses. Weird addresses. I recall having to do this with dial up and I had a long ip address but the verizon ones are simply 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 .

Anyhow we'll see how it goes and thanks again for the input.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
There have been DNS troubles circulating baout for the past several weeks. Comcast was also effected.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another way is to edit your "hosts" file and add the IP addresses of your favourite sites to it to ensure that you WON'T experience timeouts for those because of DNS problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

E.g. For CPF, add the following line:
209.67.62.186 www.candlepowerforums.com candlepowerforums.com

The "hosts" file is located in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc" directory.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I feel compelled to point out that part of the design of a modern ISP allows them to change computers and change addresses at any time. That's why they want you to use the "obtain address automatically" option. It allows them to take a bad computer offline without anyone noticing. It also allows them to switch their network around to fix problems.

If you start aving problems in the future, change them back to automatic to see if the servers have changed from what you have 'hard coded' into your network config.

Please keep in mind that CPF is going to be changed soon, and may change their IP address to do so. If you put CPF in your hosts file and CPF suddenly becomes unavailable, try removing that entry and rebooting.

Good luck,

Dan (networking since before the web)