Seoul Semiconductor P3 70lm/W LED hits production

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Re: Seoul Semiconductor P3 70lm/W LED hits product

Wow!! They even look like the Luxeons too to make it easy to adapt them to similar applications - where can I get me some of these?!?

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

Shhh! If you're really quiet, you can hear the incans quivering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hmmm, very interesting, but why only a "warm" white?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can we add a "blue" Filter to make it look "white" ?

lamperich

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Hmmm, very interesting, but why only a "warm" white?

[/ QUOTE ]

for better outside colorrendering, maybe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i hope they are also longlife led´s like the lumileds....

*Retired*

Doesn't look warm white, maybe it was a translation error.

Web page there says X=0.31 Y=0.31, which roughly puts it in the corner of the XO bin.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LED&Number=945010

The correlated color temperature (CCT) for white is given as 2,650-10,000 K, while the reliability (time to reach 50% degradation of lumen output) is stated as 70,000 hours at 350 mA.

*Retired*

You forgot some...

LumiLEDs, CREE, Nichia, Seoul Semiconductor, OSRAM, Toyoda-Gosei, Toshiba, Lamina Ceramics, Cotco (in US MartechOpto)

I know I forgot someone in the list too.

Looks like LumiLEDs is actually being passed on several fronts, but they still hang on to the best die for imaging/projection in a flashlight reflector. For the moment.

SemiMan

Banned

Well actually you can take out OSRAM, Cotco, and Lamina as they do not make their own die from what I know. They can at best follow the market.

I would be very interested in seeing a real part from Seoul and putting it into the integrating sphere as well. Seoul has been very very good at announcing phenominal products....... If they are in production, why is there not even a preliminary data sheet on the web-site? You can request one in theory, let's see how that goes. I would like to know if that 70 is typical or maximum bin. I have my theories on that but would love to be proved wrong as that could open up some new applications for me.

Semiman

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Might this be a problem?
[ QUOTE ]
The Z-Power LED is available for reflow (SMD), and has a thermal resistance of 17 °C/W.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless their part is very tolerant of high junction termperatures, 17 °C/W seems quite high for an emitter.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

I like this part even better: "SSC plans to produce P3 Z-Power LEDs in May and introduce even brighter power LEDs, with an efficacy of 100 lm/W, in the coming year." I'm eternally an optimist when it comes to LED advancements yet even I didn't think anyone would announce 100 lm/W LEDs for 2006. Of course, an announcement is a far cry from actually having one in your hands, but evidently they must have some working prototypes which will be tweaked into production.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

Anyone know the theoretical upper limit for LED efficiency? I'm wondering if they'll ever be able to beat SOX.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
enLIGHTenment said:
Anyone know the theoretical upper limit for LED efficiency? I'm wondering if they'll ever be able to beat SOX.

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends upon the luminous efficacy of the spectrum. If you want white with perfect color rendering, then 100% efficiency would be about 200 lm/W. The luminous efficacy of typical blue + YAG phosphor LEDs is around 330 lm/W. Although LEDs will probably never be 100% efficient, I think we'll eventually reach at least 60%, possibly 80%. At 60% efficiency a white LED will give anywhere from 120 to 200 lm/W, depending upon the spectrum. If you mix red, green, and blue LEDs then at a CCT of 4000K with a CRI of 80 the luminous efficacy of the spectrum can be as high as 400 lm/W. At 60% efficiency this would give 240 lm/W. At 80% efficiency it would be 320 lm/W. I'd personally put the upper limit of practical white LED efficiency right around 300 lm/W. We may not attain that for decades, but we should get to 150 lm/W within a few years.

*Retired*

I think it is 240 lm/W for white.

You can cheat this number a bit by doing some things in the spectrum, like boosting the greenish yellow output (off-white), probably why "whites" have their big hump in the green range.

For green, it is 683 lm/W for a well lit area. It changes with night adapted eyeballs.

Lets see if I can find my lm/W graph, ah, here it is:

humaney.jpg

human_~1.jpg