26K doubles brightness of Dorcy 1AAA

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just put a 26K LED (from smitty244's group buy) into my Dorcy 1AAA. The measured brightness went up over 90%. Color is also great.

The swap was very easy because the Dorcy board has a notch to help center the LED. I've done all mine now except one I can't get apart - which now definitely looks like an underachiever by comparison. I'll work on that last one when I get back from vacation.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hasnt this been done before? I remember a thread somewhere in the modified flashlights section before. It really does seem to add a hell of a lot of brightness.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great, and EASY, mod. I put the 26kmcd's in just about any 5mm LED flashlight that's reasonably easy to disassemble, and the Dorcy is the easiest of them all.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owen, no the MJLED is different. IIRC it's a 100ma rated led that has a low Vf too.

Has anyone put these 26k in a Xnova 5 led light? That would be pretty neat I think. I put UV leds in mine though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, can't do pictures (one of these days...), but beam pattern is exactly the same. I know it's been done before, I just wanted to add a quantitative measurement of improvement, which I had not seen before.

Donovan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Owen, no the MJLED is different. IIRC it's a 100ma rated led that has a low Vf too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean that an MJLED woud not work in a Dorcy or just not as well as the 26k?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MJLED works great in the Dorcy, and is very easy to install(try those links to beamshots I posted above).
Isaac, or anyone: I don't know much about LEDs except Luxeons. How are these 26k ones compared to the MJLED?
I was highly impressed with the MJLED.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Owen said:
Is that the same thing as a MJLED? Here's a couple of shots of my Dorcy's beam:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40311
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40305
These wouldn't post as pics, hopefully the links will work.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
2. You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

[/ QUOTE ]

try uploading here. http://imageshack.us/index4.php

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I guess missed it, which is brighter, mjled, or 26K. and by how much roughly.VDG