another question regarding micropucks...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone sent me a package some time ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and I was a bit lazy to actually start using the things inside it but finally decided to do something. I am going to buy some conductive epoxy soon, and I would like to know how to use a Micropuck. I understand that these are a bit old, but if it works, thats just fine. It has a little white sticker saying

Micropuck 2000
2 cell -> 350ma

Then there are 2 wires sticking out on 2 parallel sides. one pair is red and black, the other is green and orange.

Edit: I changed the title a bit because I had another question. Does the Micropuck get damaged if I file it down a little? I wanted to fit 2 into a minimag, and I need to file it down a bit in order to do that. If I was to file down the corners a bit, would the pucks still work?

One more Edit: I am trying to make a converter board out of one micropuck. I just made a custom emitter board out of oaktag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif not that I cant afford the stuff, but I cant buy anything online but Im sure it will do. I know that the positive input wire should go at the base of the entire thing and act as the positive contact button. I dont know exactly where to place the negative input wire. Should I make sure it touches the bare inside of the host so it makes contact with the kroll?? I am using a MiniM@g.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How do I use a Micro puck?

Thanks. Im sorta new to the whole do it yourself modding scene. Also, must the batteries be in parallel? If so, why?

chrisse242

Enlightened

No, if using two 1.5V cells they have to be in series. You can actually use single cr123's or cr2's as well, as long as you have 3V you're good to go.

Chrisse

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mags,

If you look closely at the label on the micropuck, you will note that one end is labeled as being the input and the other is labeled as being the output. The input side goes to the power source and the output side goes to the luxeon, or whatever you're going to be driving with it.

On the input side, the red is, of course, the positive in; and the black is negative in. If I recall correctly, the orange wire is directly opposite the red wire and is the positive out, with the green being the negative out.

The micro pucks are a bit old, but they do have their uses. Don't frown at the 350mA current output. Luxeons generate most of their output at relatively low levels of currnet. The micropuck also has a low voltage requirement. I wired one up last night with a single AA cell and got almost 200mA to the luxeon.

If you must get more current to the LED, you can run two micro pucks in parallel to get 700mA to the luxeon.

A cool first mod that is pretty simple is to get a 2 cell battery holder from radio shack as a power supply and stick a star to an altoids or sucrets can. It makes for a nice "reading in bed" light, or a pretty cool bike light, if you attach a reflector to it. At 350mA, the luxeon won't generate much heat and the metal can makes for a nice sink. The micro puck is pretty much sealed and you don't have to worry about hurting it.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mr tony, I simply held input wires to one AA battery, and to my surprise, it worked. Thank you for the information.

Edit: I just stacked 2 AA batteries on top of one another, and it still worked! So I dont really have to put it in parallel now right?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Strangely, I can power the V3UW 5 watter with a single AA. Its dim, but the fact that it even lights up is what surprises me.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you need to take some material off to make it fit, I'd imagine that you could. I typically take the material off of the host though.

How much did you need to remove?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to take a few millimeters off the corners. I cant take pictures right now since its too late. Ill post tommorrow.

Edit:Actually, nevermind. I decided 2 micropucks as one custom converter board wasnt worth it...

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

mpucky.jpg

havefun.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Umm what is that?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

The original micropuck will suck the cell/s down to ~.8V. They keep going and going..... They do not appear to be a constant current driver- kind of like a MadMax. You can carve away a fair amount of epoxy, and carving down to the guts, I have yet to kill one. (Thanks koala for the excellent pic/info!) Note also that the black and green leads seem to be common ground.

Larry

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

tvodrd, you used a micropuck in your CR2 light right?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

No Mags, I used dat2zip's boards, short-stacked to .200"

Larry

greenLED

Flashaholic

Larry, didn't you use the Micropuck in that light he made for a retiring co-worker? I thought I had the thread bookmarked, but now I can't find it.

I've bee sitting on a couple of Micropucks myself, wondering whether they could be made any smaller. Thanks koala for the pics, and Larry for the inspiration (now, if I can find that thread again...)

greenLED

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Do I see a sense resistor (the green rectangle) in those pics? Does this means the circuit can be tweaked just like the Infinity Ultra's? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

GreenLED, that was a .750" dia 123 cell design. If LEDynamics(?) would offer it stripped, it might go in the CR2 formfactor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Larry