Anyone else "collecting" Coleman 200A's ??

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else "collecting" Coleman 200A\'s ??

I didn't really know that I was until the little lady stated giving me funny looks everytime I came home from the flea market with one...

I really like the 200A since there's only one mantle to deal with and they burn for a long time (2 nights average) on a single tank of fuel. They also put out plenty of light for my taste.

I seem to have great luck stumbling onto these lanterns fairly cheap too. I just picked up a totally "cherry" 200A for $10 with no porcelain chips and it also had an original amber globe. It is dated 8/58. I usually find these larterns as "parts" pieces and pay 3 or $4 and build good ones out of the salvagable parts. After taking apart the pump on my recent buy, I could see that it was used maybe 1 or 2 times and shelved......that is, until Slick showed up.
grin.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone else "collecting" Coleman 200A\'s ??

come awwnn... I can't be the only one.
shocked.gif

jcozad

Newly Enlightened

No, your not the only one. I have five right now. I have rebuilt three for the Boy Scout troop my son is in. I have one with the black band, it is the most collectable one I have. Some are "Cherry", but most are users. The 200a
is my favorite lantern to use.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Everytime I see one of those double-mantle lanterns burning, I just can't keep from thinking that a good portion of the light being generated is going to waste by shining directly on the mantle right beside it..
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I've got to believe that the single mantle uses a lot less fuel too.
smile.gif

My first 200A had the green tank with red top. I thought this was someone's old "parts lantern" until I found out they actually made some like that!

To add to my half-dozen or so 200A's, I just recently found a mint condition 242C. It's an older (slightly smaller) single mantle unit that has the small filler cap. It had a ribbed steel "heater attachment" on it instead of a globe. It was far too unusual to pass up for $7
shocked.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sunspot:
Is this any good? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2120576065<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not too bad.. I wouldn't go over $15 since is has a broken globe. If you have a weekend flea market in your area, I'd start there. I always see them at flea markets & garage sales..

I usually pay from $2 - $8 for a parts grade lantern (broken globe or bad pump), and $7 - $15 for one in decent shape that appears to be in good working order. I'd pay up to $20 for a really cherry lantern. All of the 200A's that I have bought have needed a new O-ring on the fuel cap to hold pressure reliably.