Another dorcy AAA mod, green with THROW

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awhile ago I modded a teal LUX I with a top from a 10mm LED,It was OK, but I recientally got a bunch of acrilyc spherical optics from the Shoppe. The 3/8" optic fits right on top if the dorcy head( which is glued around the edge with 5min epoxy) and focuses NICELY on a LUX mounted on the driver board. Since I already had A LUX I on a simulated dorcy board I decided to take off the 10mm head. Well the WHOLE thing came off, tacky gunk and all, but I did it slow enough that the wires stayed in-tact. I topped it off bu putting some orance glow-poxy in the channel around the cup for the LED die.
On a fresh battery (AAA Li-ion) it pulls 1.2A and after some intermittent use sits around 900mA. I got a bunch of these teal LUX I's for about $4 each, and it hase some sinking to the case, Which gets warm quick. The wall shot is from about 12 feet.
Jeff
im0042171ua.jpg

im0042187uo.jpg

im0042192uu.jpg

im0042219jb.jpg

im0042239qg.jpg

im0042249ja.jpg

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!!! that's awesome!! The acrylic lens looks cool, and the amount of light you get from that tiny light is cool!!! Very intense cool spot of the die!! Looks like it's a greenie cyan... Still very cool. I love cyan color. I wish my S2J's were T1J's... oh well. Maybe when the next gen luxeons come out someone will stumble across some bin 1's!

Anyways back on topic do you have a pic of the orange glowing? Sounds like a cool color comibination!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't sneeze - you might break the bond wires. Might want to put a small dab of optical grade clear epoxy on there to protect things

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, I'd give it some protection, good suggestion. I was just looking at that thinking... ouch!

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would really like to get a 'blob' of something on it... What is good to use? being there is NO UV, there shouldent be a problem with discoloring. Is there a special place to get 'optical grade' epoxy?
Jeff

Isaac, these are binned as cyan, but are VERY green. Now since they are running at over 1A, the color looks a bit more cyan, also it is a LARGE amount of photons flying out of it.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, it's underdriven. Only 600ma. But from 600-900 I can't tell a shift in color. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Perhaps I need to find some nice 1W's in a nice color and drive them at lux3 levels.

Don't worry about HS. every luxeon mod I have is on a nice thick HS in D mags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif