Streamlight TL-2 and TL-3 LED or Xenon?

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
My main question about the TL-2 and the TL-3 is: are the LED and Incan. modules switchable? I.e. - If I buy a LED TL-3, can I also purchase a Xenon Lamp/Lamp Assembly seperately, and swap them out? (I have read that this can be done with the Pelican M6).

I have searched all afternoon for an answer to this question, and unfortunately, the only answer I found was a firm 'maybe', in IdleProcess's mini-review of the Streamlight TL-3 LED (11/15/04) here.

As you can see, he said it "might be compatible with TL-3 lamp assembly". I apprecaite any help that anyone can provide. Thanks.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
I know that we have some Surefire experts hanging around here, but no Streamlight experts? C'mon, surely we must have at least one Streamlight expert who can answer my question!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TL-2 LED, and the assembly easly comes out in one whole piece. I have no idea if you can just buy a xenon drop-in ...
but if they DO make them, I think your answer would be yes...

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, Nemul. I also thought of another question. From what I have read, you can use the TL-3 bulb (with 2 R123s) in the TL-2 as a "HOLA". Is there any bulb that can be used in the TL-3 as a HOLA with regular or rechargeable batteries without modifying the light? TIA.

fred0109

Newly Enlightened
No, they are not switchable, unless you buy an extra lens/reflector assembly. The hole in the bottom of the reflector is different between the LED and the xenon lights.

Fat

Newly Enlightened
i just got a tl2 led recently and noticed its uses plastic reflector so i dont think it can handle the high output xenon bulb very well.

My, its drawing 700ma on a 1 watt led. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
great for modding it to a 3 watt star.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony, using the TL-3 lamp with only two 123's doesn't square with what I'd normally think. Underdriving the TL-3 lamp by 33%? One might think it would be dimmer than the proper lamp. Of course, I could be wrong and this may be an exception.

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
Tony, using the TL-3 lamp with only two 123's doesn't square with what I'd normally think. Underdriving the TL-3 lamp by 33%? One might think it would be dimmer than the proper lamp. Of course, I could be wrong and this may be an exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was talking about two R123s which would put out over 8v fresh off the charger. I would think it would be much brighter than a TL2 bulb. I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

Fat

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Fat_Tony said:
Hey Fat, from one Fat to another, thanks!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hay tony, Fat to you too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regarding the use of 2 rcr123. Look out for high dischargeble li-ons which are capable of above 1 amp discharge so the 9v lamp would be brighter.my 600mah rcr123 couldnt handle higher discharge rates, as a result,9v bulbs looks dim.

Those 750mah rcr123 on offer by waion suprisingly discharges up to 1 amp for 2 pieces. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif