how to assemble LED luxeon V for mini mag ?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do I add the Luxon V and lens to change my mini mag to led light? I am newbie at this stuff.I am not mechanically inclined. How do I put together? This is the site I found http://www.luxeonstar.com/ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sniper

Enlightened
Picard; Welcome! You will find the Forums a friendly, if sometimes confusing place to be, and interesting!

My opinion is that depending on what you want to do, it may not be the best solution to put a Lux V in a Mini Mag--sort of like shoeorning a small block Chevy into one of the BMW Mini Coopers. It would do well on the salt flats, but around town?

Buy an MJ cut down LED from the Sandwich Shoppe, and a mineral glass lens, and install that in your Mini Mag. All it takes is drilling the reflector, and the Shoppe may even have one pre-drilled. Cut the wire legs on the LED to proper length, being careful you don't snip too much, screw it back to gether and VOILA! A very bright MINI MAG. And the Shoppe has a variety of strange and wonderful modifications for lights.

The Opalec Newbeam is also a good solution, as are the other replacement bulbs for the MM... but, I found the MJLED, and never looked back! Totally happy with the "new " MM, but my wife confiscated it for her EDC light. If you enter here, keep a firm grip on your wallet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Retired*
A fella could always underpower the Lux V and gain the substantial efficiency increase in the emitter.

See if you can get something in the YO or XO bin, so that when underdriven, it gets closer to a true white. Underdriven parts shift towards yellow green.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would an underdriven Lux V be brighter than a Lux III at the same current?

The same current to a Lux V would yield a higher voltage to it, compared to a Lux III, right?

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
You may have problem to focus the beam properly when you put a Lux-V in a mini-mag reflector. A Lux-III will give a much tighter hotspot and appear brighter. In addition, two regular AAs do not have the power to properly drive your Lux-V for a sustained period.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
or the liion 3.7V ones. DD the lux with excess of 7.4 V /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. heatsinking might be a challenge though