Help with online detailed maps.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be able to find detailed photographic maps with mapquest etc.

I can't find them anymore. I've never been able to find topographic maps viewable online. Only where you can buy them.

I'm trying to find a trail I heard about that is on the southern side of Maumelle River (not Little Maumelle River). This river feeds lake Maumelle in Arkansas. I've hiked around and fished on the northern side but it's become a little too popular.

All I can find is Duffey Road. That could be it but I don't know.

Do any of you know of a site or sites that render detailed aerial or topographic maps?

TIA

- Jeff

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
maps.google.com

Find the place you want (Duffey Road), and then click on the Satellite tab. It works pretty well.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm....just tried it for Duffey Road in Arkansas. The Satellite photo isn't very detailed because you can't zoom in very far. Sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
That did it. I searched on Maumelle Arkansas and moved around until I was over where the river enters the lake. Duffey Rd. is the trail. Probably has some interesting history to it. You can pretty well fishing there. My previous insurance guy told me that when he was a kid (probably like 1960 something)they would camp there at night in the spring. He said you'd be woken up around 4:00 a.m to 5:00 a.m. because there were so many white bass running that it sounded like a herd of hogs stampeding through the river. I would like to have seen that.

Thanks, MaxaBaker. I wish you could go fishing with us.

Got any ideas about online topographic maps?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try this.

I'd love to go fishing too. I'm normally fishing A LOT (minimum of 40 hours a week) at this time of the year, but things haven't worked the way that I've planned. I've only been going out about once week to fish for striped bass this year. (It doesn't help that the bloodworms are $12 a dozen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif). To tell you the truth, I've almost completely stopped fishing for anything but the stripers during the spring run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I've forgotton most of the stuff I used to know about fishing for anything else (any of the techniques I knew anyway).

I can't imagine how loud the bass must be swimming. Good luck to you and your fishing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used Terra Server before and it seemed to work well...

Has anyone tried the Google Maps using FireFox--It does not seem to work for me (although, I do have Java turned off).

-Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry... The above TerraServer.com is a different site... This is a commercial site that charges for access (although--it appears to offer very high resolution pictures if you need that).

The site that I have used before is www.terraserver.microsoft.com which offers photos with good detail (much better than the "free version" of the commercial site above.

And this Microsoft site seems to work much better with FireFox than the site listed above.

-Bill

jtice

Flashaholic
I use USAPhotoMaps.
mainly for use with gps, but you dont have to have gps

it gets it arial photos an dtopo mpas from terraserver.com but is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than using their site.
It will also create images that you can save of the map you are viewing.

http://jdmcox.com/

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Baker -

You are batting 1,000. That site showed the trail.

Bloodworms eh?. Had to Google that up. Odd looking critters. Maine makes billions of dollars from them? That's amazing.

Bill -

Very nice site. Thank you. I'll be wandering around in there for sure.

***EDIT***

OK I got the other one. Thanks.

John -

Thanks, man. I really do need to get a GPS. Sometimes I get pretty far out there. Don't tell anybody but I got lost for about 30 minutes one night. No moon. No stars. I had plenty of lights but DingBat here didn't have a compass 'cause "Heck, I never get lost in the woods." Right. I stood still and listened. Finally I heard a car on a road about a mile away and got my bearings from the sound.

-------------

- Jeff

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
Bloodworms eh?. Had to Google that up. Odd looking critters. Maine makes billions of dollars from them? That's amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nasty little critters too. They have a mouth that shoots the front of their head that has 4 claws on it. It looks very much like the mouth of a Predator (the ones from the movie). If it bites you it injects a poison into you and it hurts like he!!. You can't get them off either. Nasty things, but they work well for fishing. (They have A LOT of blood in them (which attracts the fish obviously)).

"Predator" mouth:

This one is fake but it looks like the real thing:

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Man those nasty things look like something from a bad movie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif