gander mtn guide series

jbg23

Newly Enlightened
just picked up a guide series 5w 3xcr123 from gander mtn. The packaging doesnt say much about it and I wanted to find out a little more. Does anyone here have one, or know anything about it. Tried to search but nothing came up. It was distributed by foundton. So far nice light for 30 bucks.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one with a reflector and a two stage tailcap clickie. If it's the same as yours, it's a nice light, but I really prefer the 3w 2x123 I got from them, if just because of the size factor. According to a salesperson I spoke with, they won't be carrying these anymore, and I haven't seen either one since before Christmas. I bought several of the 3w versions for gifts and wish I could find a few more locally. If you've got a different version, let me know what it's like. The two Guide Series branded versions I have are nice lights for the money, and I'd be interested in any new(-er) versions.

To improve the grip and the comfort of carrying the 5w in cold or wet weather, I wrapped mine in friction tape. Cheap fix and it works well. I keep mine on a lanyard (one of the coiled key keeper thingamabobs with a clip on one end and a keyring on the other) and carry it in a Nite-Ize pouch with the lanyard clipped to that -- for me, it's too big for comfortable pants pocket carry.

jbg23

Newly Enlightened
yeah mine is the two stage with a clickie, and I did not see a 3w version. They must have been sold out. I am a newbie when it comes to lights for the most part. What kind of runtime do you get out of yours? It is a luxeon right?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did a search and there's several references to these lights here.

This one had info on the 3 watt light and pictures. Gander Mountain Lights

I'm pretty sure these are luxeons (I mean, did anyone else have 3 and 5 watt LED's when these came out?). They are pretty well made and have good switches with positive actions -- real nice click and no doubt about whether you turned it on or not. Run times? My 5 watt is on the original set of batteries (bought it last year) and my 3 watt had a battery change only a few weeks ago. I use the 3 watt light a lot. Never did a start to finish run, but these lights seem to run for quite a while.